New or getting back into cycling? Unsure of the best route for your commute? Want to cycle with someone else? UCL’s Bike Buddy scheme can help.
The aim is to connect experienced cyclists with staff and students who are new to commuting by bike, to assist them with feeling safe on their route to and from their place of work or study at UCL.
- Who is the scheme for?
Any staff member or student that:
- Has a bicycle but isn't very confident cycling on the roads
- Is new to London and hasn’t cycled here before
- Wants some company on their cycling commute
- Has a bicycle which needs a bit of advice to get working
- Would like advice on routes to and from campus
- Is an experienced, confident cyclist who regularly cycles to the UCL and wants to support others
- What can Bike Buddies help with?
- Local knowledge of routes to and from UCL and around campus
- Assist with selecting the most appropriate route and riding it with you
- Tips on riding in traffic, in different environments and in different weather conditions
- Advice on where you can park your bike at your place of work/study
- Advice for maintenance and minor repairs of the bicycle
- What can't Bike Buddies help with?
- Teaching you how to ride - Bike Buddies are not there to teach people to ride a bike safely and assume no liability in the event of accident or injury. For information on cycle confidence skills training by qualified instructors, visit our Cycle Confidently page here.
- Fix a bike – While buddies may be able to advise on basic maintenance checks (although this is not guaranteed), they are not expected to replace parts. For guidance on this see our Fixing your Bike page.
Sign up to be a Buddy
If you are an experienced cyclist and would like to offer support to a colleague or fellow student who wishes to cycle to work, this scheme allows you to link up with them. If you wish to offer your services as a Buddy to a less experienced colleague please complete this short questionnaire. The information you provide including, your cycle route to UCL, Name and Email will be listed on our buddies page and will be UCL password protected.
As a Bike Buddy you are not responsible for the cyclist you have buddied with and that person enters a buddying arrangement strictly on that basis. If you think someone is not confident enough to cycle with you then you can recommend they get advice on cycle training via this page.
Find a Buddy
If you are a less experienced cyclist and would like a Bike Buddy, you can find a colleague or fellow student who matches your commute (or as close as possible) on this page. You should then make contact with them to discuss your needs and arrange to meet.
To keep the scheme simple, all discussion and arrangements should be managed between the individual and the Bike Buddy. For further information and support, such as cycle training and how to buy a bike etc, please read our cycle pages. The role of UCL is confined to facilitating colleagues getting in contact with each other in order to make their own private arrangements for buddying. If you have additional queries, please contact SustainableUCL@ucl.ac.uk for support.