Give your clothes a second chance!
11 March 2021
We all love fashion, but it can have a huge impact on the environment and the people who make our clothes. See some handy upcycling tutorials below!
Did you know?:
- The UK bins 235 million items of clothing each spring.
- Textile manufacturing uses huge amounts of water, much of which gets flushed into waterways laden with contaminants such as bleaches, acids, inks and dyes. Farmers in parts of China and India are reportedly predicting fashion’s next biggest hues by the colour of rivers tainted by textile industry runoff.
- Workers in developing nations are often paid a pittance to work in unsafe conditions.
What can we do?:
- Try one of the many apps that are designed to help you make more sustainable and fair fashion choices.
- Give the items that you already have in your closet a second chance. Check out the tutorials below for inspiration on upcycling your clothes or see the UCL MODO Fashion Society's sustainability page.