The Institute of International Studies (IMS FSV UK) is one of the five institutes of the Faculty of Social Sciences (FSV UK) which is a part of Charles University, one of the oldest universities in the world (founded in 1348). Shortly after its establishment in 1990, FSV UK became a regional centre of teaching and research in economics, sociology, political science, international relations, area studies, media studies and journalism.
Institute of International studies (est. 1994) as the main partner in IMESS consortium was the first one in the Czech Republic starting with area studies as a discipline completely absenting in the communist period. IMS puts the main emphasis on modern history, politics & law, economy, society and culture with respect to Northern America, Europe, and Eurasia. The main research topics are memory studies, transformation & integration studies, study of bilateral and multilateral relations, and a research of nationalism, violence & post-transitional justice in modern history.
Our mission is the promotion of free thought, the cultivation of independent academic research, and the support of the creative spirit. Our main objective is to develop teaching and research which relate to the public administration and/or to the various aspects of economic and cultural life of society.
We emphasize international cooperation, regularly organize guest lectures, seminars, workshops and conferences which take place in cooperation with the Faculty´s partner universities in Europe, North America, Asia and the Middle East. FSV UK has a high international mobility participation rates - around 200 students are enrolled in our English language degree programmes. Besides, we welcome over 500 exchange students each year!
Why the institute and the faculty?
- Academic excellence. Charles University is the only Czech university in the Academic Ranking of World Universities.
- Top lecturers. Faculty include distinguished academics as well as leading figures in the policy making, economics and social life of the region.
- Talent. We seek the best in students and develop their potential. Every year our students are granted competitive awards and scholarships.
- Hands-on experience. Our graduates not only receive a firm grounding in theory but also have numerous opportunities to get involved in various practical projects as well.
- Friendly environment. We are a place where students and faculty members meet and interact, where students benefit from the young, dynamic and interdisciplinary environment.
What can you study?
Studies are intended primarily to prepare students for a professional career in the private sector, public administration, national governments, European institutions, academic research or the media. Study is divided into standard three separate cycles: Bachelor's degree cycle: 3 years (equivalent to a BA); Master's degree cycle: 2 years (equivalent to a MA); Doctoral studies: 4 years, lead to a Doctorate (Ph. D).
While the language of instruction is Czech and English, students can choose from classes in a wide range of other languages, namely German, Russian, Spanish and French.
Many of our alumni succeed in competitions for highly qualified jobs or they continue their studies at top universities like Harvard, Columbia, LSE, Cambridge or other prestigious academic institution.