XClose

UCL School of Slavonic and East European Studies (SSEES)

Home
Menu

Gallery

A collection of photos from throughout the history of SSEES.

Tomáš Garrigue Masaryk (centre), who gave the inaugural lecture that launched the School in 1915, returns in 1925 as President of Czechoslovakia R. W. Seton Watson, one of the founders of the School and the first holder of the Masaryk Chair in Central European History, with his sons Staff of the then School of Slavonic Studies, King's College in 1922

Sir Bernard Pares, the first Director of the School…

Staff of the School at King's College, 1923 Sir Bernard Pares, the first Director of the School A meeting of teachers of Slavonic subjects, probably in 1934-35

28 May 1961, Cumberland Lodge, Windsor Great Park. Mr S Zinny, with croquet mallet, with other members of the SSEES weekend seminar.
SSEES Russian Language and Literature entrants, 1966
Václav Havel speaking at SSEES in 22 March 1990

In 1995 the East European Department was recognised by the British Telecoms Partnership Award in European Studies for excellence in facilitating knowledge and appreciation of Eastern Europe
The 'signing off' ceremony for the new building for SSEES, 2003: Maria Widdowson, Lesley Pitman, Professor Julian Graffy and Angela Clemo with architects Alan Short and Adam Whiteley and Neil Turvey (Turner and Townsend).
Professor George Kolankiewicz and Professor Malcolm Grant greeting HE Václav Klaus at the 2005 opening of the new SSEES building