Book a place
This four-day course will explore the value and practical application of hypnotherapeutic techniques and communication in dentistry. You'll develop practical skills you can use to reduce patient anxiety and improve the patient experience.
The course is run within the UCL Eastman Dental Institute in London which has a broad range of continuing professional development (CPD) short courses. These provide hands-on training from experienced staff in dedicated facilities.
Course content and structure
The course runs over four days (2 blocks of two days held four weeks apart).
- Understanding everyday hypnoidal states
- Mind body communication - power of the mind
- Observable depths of hypnosis
- Common misconceptions
- Important phases - the effective use of the formal induction of hypnosis
- Eye fatigue induction - self and external objects
- Relaxation inductions / deepening
- Awakening the subject
- Rapid re-induction/post hypnotic cue
- Ethical management
- Biological basis to hypnosis and hypnotherapy
- Tactile induction approaches
- Imagery deepeners
- Factors influencing induction
- Incorporating distractions
- Formulation of suggestions
- Naturalistic inductions
- Ideo-motor responses
- Dental/ego strengthening
- Understanding fears and phobias
- Assessment / scaling
- Stage and distancing dissociations
- Miscellaneous stage dissociation - tailoring to the patient
- Utilising patient resources - installing positive anchors and re-synthesis
- Future orientation
- Glove anaesthesia/analgesia
- Priming the patient
- Hand stroke technique with imagery
- Multi modal approach to pain management
- Transferring analgesia
- Teaching self hypnosis
Who this course is for
You should be a practicing dental practitioner, dental hygienist, therapist or nurse.
Structure and teaching
The course runs from approximately 9:30am to 5pm over four days (2 blocks of two days held four weeks apart).
Teaching will be by specialised seminars, followed by practical exercises to help you gain confidence and experience using hypnotherapeutic techniques.
Between course days you'll be invited to develop practical skills and record your observations.
Group discussions and feedback will be encouraged to consolidate the knowledge you're acquiring.
On this course you'll learn:
- how to effectively induce hypnosis and use dental hypnosis in a safe and ethical manner
- a range of modern evidence-based hypnotic techniques that can be tailored for your patients, improving both the patient-practitioner relationship and patient experience
- how to develop both direct and indirect hypnotic communication patterns and strategies to reduce patient anxiety
- how to address common anxiety-based issues faced by patients, including dental anxiety and phobic responses
- hypnotic strategies for the managing pain related to oral health care
- how to confidently adapt and employ hypnotherapeutic approaches and tailor them to patient's needs
CPD points and certificate
The course will give you 26 hours of verifiable CPD. You'll also receive a certificate of attendance.
All teachers are experienced professionals. You'll be asked to submit written feedback via a questionnaire at the end of the course, which is used to monitor the course's quality of teaching and value for money.
Please read the Eastman Dental Institute's refunds policy before booking.
Gavin Emerson - course leader
Gavin is a practising clinical hypnotherapist with over 25 years practical experience in clinical and dental hypnosis. He also has considerable experience lecturing and developing courses in clinical hypnosis at universities on a range of BSc and higher educational programmes.
Gavin has developed several specialist programmes in clinical hypnosis and brief therapy that have subsequently also been awarded post-graduate credits for psychiatrists, doctors, dentists and nurses. He's regularly invited to speak at international conferences as a specialist in improving communication in a range of professional and clinical arenas.
"One of the best and most stimulating courses I have ever been on. Truly refreshing."
"A very useful and informative course-relevant to everyday practice and management of anxious patients, very well thought out and taught."
"A great assistance to my clinical practice when treating anxious patients."
"This course has been incredibly useful for my personal development and has enabled me to manage more challenging patients in primary care."
"Great adjunct for new techniques to be an even better dentist."
"Mind-expanding course that will put your clinical practice in a different light both for you and your patients."
Book a place
Course information last modified: 17 Jan 2023, 14:58