Instituto de Estudios Vallejianos (Filial Londres)
The centre aims to encourage research on the life and work
Peruvian poet, César Vallejo (1892-1938), as well as the larger remit of
Peruvian literature and culture.
Founded at UCL on 6th January 2003,
the centre was inaugurated at Canning House on 30th September 2003
by the then Peruvian Ambassador, Armando Lecaros-de-Cossío.
The founder-director is Professor Stephen M. Hart.
Research Project: "The Evolution of a Saint: Santa Rosa de Lima"
Funded by the British Academy, the project's principal aim is to provide a new biography of Santa Rosa de Lima (1586-1617) by drawing on the archives relating to Santa Rosa's beatification and canonisation held at the Secret Archive in the Vatican, in the Monasterio de Santa Rosa de Santa Maria and the Archivo Arzobispal, the latter two in Lima.
- Research Network
The London Centre of César Vallejo Studies operates within a research network consisting of other Institutes such as:
- Instituto de Estudios Vallejianos, Trujillo, Peru (Director, Dr César Adolfo Alva Lescano)
- Instituto de Estudios Vallejianos, Brigham Young University, Utah, USA (Director, Dra Mara Garcia)
- Instituto de Estudios Vallejianos in Caracas, Venezuela (Director, Dra Graciela Torres)
- Association des Amis César Vallejo, Paris (Director, Carlos Henderson)
- Cesar Vallejo Center at Hofstra University
- Peruvian Embassy
- Instituto Cervantes
- Poet in the City
The centre has funded the publication of the following books:
- Film Production
The has funded the production of several short films which trace the connections between film, poetry and Latin American culture:
The Centre of César Vallejo Studies has a specialist research library on the work of César Vallejo which may be consulted by UCL students.
Professor Stephen M. Hart
T: 020 7679 3036