Dr Bayes Ahmed
Lecturer in Risk and Disaster Science
Inst for Risk & Disaster Reduction
Faculty of Maths & Physical Sciences
- Joined UCL
- 9th Jan 2017
 Project Manager: ""; £500,000 funded by the Royal Society (Grant Scheme: Challenge-led Grants); March 2019 – September 2022.
 Project Manager: ""; £300,000 funded by the British Academy (Grant Scheme: Sustainable Development Programme 2018); September 2018 – June 2021.
At UCL, I teach:
- IRDR0012: Independent Project (Module Coordinator); Level – MSc
- IRDR0004: Data Analysis and Interpretation (Module Co-Tutor); Level – MSc
- IRDR0021: Social and Geospatial Data Analysis (Module Tutor); Level – BSc
I teach research methods (quantitative and qualitative), social vulnerability assessment, multi-hazard risk mapping, statistics in social science, geographic information systems (GIS), remote sensing, climate change adaptation, landslides (susceptibility, early warning systems, inventory, and rainfall thresholds), and forced migration.
Core Teaching Interest: Application of Geospatial Technologies and Advanced Statistics in Humanitarian Studies.
- Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology (BUET)
- Other undergraduate qualification (including professional), Bachelor of Urban and Regional Planning |
- University College London (UCL), UK
- Doctorate, Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) | 2017
- Universitat Jaume I (UJI), Spain
- Other higher degree, Master of Science (MSc) | 2011
I am a Lecturer in the Institute for Risk and Disaster Reduction (IRDR) at University College London (UCL). My background includes research into the field of disaster risk reduction (DRR), community vulnerability and resilience, disaster displacement, geographic information system (GIS) and remote sensing, climate change adaptation, conflict and migration, and climate justice. I obtained a PhD in Disaster Risk Reduction from UCL, a joint MSc degree in Geospatial Technologies from Spain, Germany, and Portugal; and a Bachelor of Urban and Regional Planning degree from Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology (BUET).