Our goal is to assist UCL in maintaining its position at the forefront of European collaboration in science, technology and innovation, as well as sustaining its place as one of the leading universities in the Horizon 2020 programme. We therefore offer dedicated Horizon 2020 proposal support services to UCL Principal Investigators (PIs) coordinating collaborative proposals, in order to improve the proposals’ chances of success in receiving funding, implementation and post project impact.
ERIO’s proposal support services are available to UCL PIs who are coordinating Horizon 2020 collaborative proposals in any topic area. We provide hands-on support from proposal conception through to proposal submission, including assistance in structuring, editing and targeting the Excellence, Impact and Implementation sections. We also provide financial and general administrative support to meet the pre-award requirements, which mitigates the administrative burden upon coordinating scientists and clinicians.
Our proposal support services are unfortunately not available for Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions (MSCA) and European Research Council (ERC) proposals. For support with these proposals, or for general financial and administrative support for when UCL is a partner in collaborative proposals, please contact ERIO’s European Contract Management team.
If you are an organisation considering collaborating with UCL under Horizon 2020, and would be interested in discussing access to ERIO's support services for your proposal, please contact Kimberly Cornfield (details below).
What we do:
The following pre-award proposal support services are offered by the team:
- Proposal Coordination: support will be provided from the concept stage through to the grant preparation stage, and will include support with structuring and targeting the scientific and expected impacts sections, providing text/information for, and editing, the implementation section (including management), completing the financial sections (collecting and compiling UCL's and partners' budgets), obtaining the required administrative information, and aiding in partner searches. It does however not include writing large amounts of novel text;
- Proposal Review: a mid-development check of the proposal (for relevance to the work programme, formatting and level of completion, management structure and intellectual property matters, UCL costs and general finance) and a final pre-submission check (completion, UCL costing, submission advice);
- Proposal Workshops: targeted assistance on H2020 work programmes and proposal preparation which are themed and timed to coincide with key Horizon 2020 proposal submission deadlines;
- Funding and Proposal Advice: guidance on how to participate in a Horizon 2020 proposal, internal Horizon 2020 guidance documents, examples of previously successful proposals, templates and budget calculators.
UCL PIs wishing to use any of our proposal support services should contact Kimberly Cornfield in the first instance (details below), who will assign a European Proposal Manager to discuss the suitability of their proposal for EU submission. This includes asking the PI to complete an "Expression of Interest" (EOI) form, which is structured to collate information that will assess the suitability of your project for the call topic you wish to address. We suggest the following timeline for completing proposals and contacting the team:
- At least 4 weeks before any Stage 1 deadline (if your call has 2 stages)
- At least 4 months before any Stage 2 or single deadline
Departments using ERIO's full Proposal Management consultancy service will be asked to agree to the payment of a success fee of up to 1.5% of the total EU Contribution award amount (on no-win no-fee basis). This is a not for profit service, and the fee will be used to continue to fund the service for the benefit of the UCL academic community. All other proposal support services as shown above will be offered at ERIO's own expense.
Who we are and who to contact:
Please contact Kimberly Cornfield or the European Proposal Manager assigned to your School, to discuss ERIO's European proposal support services: