Students can and do transfer between UCL Departments as part of their programme and also between institutions as part of the programme or centre.
Occasionally a Supervisor arrives or leaves UCL perhaps requiring a studentship to transfer.
What to Do
Transfer between departments
- Arrange for account codes to be set up as required
Who to Contact;
Transfer between institutions
- The losing institution needs to gain agreement for the transfer from HoDs/Centre Director in writing from both institutions.
- Gain funder authorisation for the transfers in writing as appropriate.
- Arrange Novation of contracts and issue of sub-contracts as required.
Who to Contact:
- need to be contacted in all cases to cancel or amend payments to student
Administrators Best Practice
- Begin these processes early as some may require a little time to complete, for example Novation of contracts/issue of sub-contracts.
- Where the supervisor is moving to a new position, always gain the Head of Department and funder's authorisation prior to agreeing with the supervisor or student the transfer to another institution.