Research and Innovation Services


Student transfers

Find information and guidance on the transfer of students between UCL departments and other institutions.

Students can and do transfer between UCL departments as part of their programme and also between institutions as part of the programme or centre.

Occasionally a Supervisor arrives or leaves UCL perhaps requiring a studentship to transfer.

What to do

Transfer between departments

  • Arrange for account codes to be set up as required

Who to contact

Transfer between institutions

  • The losing institution needs to gain agreement for the transfer from HoDs/Centre Director in writing from both institutions.
  • Gain funder authorisation for the transfers in writing as appropriate.
  • Arrange Novation of contracts and issue of sub-contracts as required.

Who to Contact

Studentship Funding

  • need to be contacted in all cases to cancel or amend payments to student

Administrators best practice

  • Begin these processes early as some may require a little time to complete, for example Novation of contracts/issue of sub-contracts.
  • Where the supervisor is moving to a new position, always gain the Head of Department and funder's authorisation prior to agreeing with the supervisor or student the transfer to another institution.