We are working with the Clinical Research Network (CRN) to invite stroke patients to take part in PLORAS. The CRN are funded by the National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) to co-ordinate and develop stroke research nationally. We are very excited about this as it means we can reach a diverse population of stroke survivors around the country.
At this stage, CRN teams are required to screen stroke patients at their site, briefly outline the study to suitable patients and take consent. Following patient consent, they then transfer the completed recruitment documents (initial consent form and entry form) and copies of the patient’s hospital CT/MRI brain scans to the PLORAS team.
By sharing patient hospital CT/MRI scans with us this will: i) enable patients to take part without travelling to our centre and, ii) enable us to ensure that our clinical prediction tool will be accurate and functional at most UK hospitals.
Referrals from clinicians to PLORAS should come via the Clinical Research Network from clinical settings that are PLORAS study sites, so that the approved recruitment procedures can be followed.
CRN site FAQs
Please see our CRN FAQ page to find answers to some of the Frequently Asked Questions for PLORAS CRN sites.
Is PLORAS open to new CRN sites?
We are accepting new sites, but may prioritise set up based on, e.g. data gaps, or put sites on hold for a period. If you are considering opening PLORAS at your site, please Contact Us for a Protocol and Expression of Interest form, and we will advise on the following steps.
If your clinical setting is listed as a site below, and you would like to be involved with PLORAS:
- Contact Us and we will give you the contact details of your site's Principal Investigator for PLORAS.
- They can then advise you regarding how the recruitment is taking place at your site.
- If your patients are interested in being involved in PLORAS, you can signpost them to the PLORAS website for information, and then flag the patients to your local CRN Practitioner.
If your clinical setting is not listed as a site, and you would like to be involved with PLORAS:
- Speak to your CRN Practitioner (ask locally to find out who this).
- If they would like to proceed, they will need to complete an Expression of Interest form (we can provide this) and return it to us (see also above under 'Is PLORAS open to new CRN sites?').
PLORAS recruitment sites
Click on the Local Clinical Research Network names for a list of sites which are either currently set up, or are in the process of setting up as PLORAS recruitment sites
(Sites who have expressed interest but who are currently on hold are not listed here).
- 1. North East and North Cumbria
- Newcastle Upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust (Newcastle University Medical School)
- 2. Yorkshire and Humber
- Bradford Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
- Doncaster and Bassetlaw Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust (Doncaster Royal Infirmary)
- Hull & East Yorkshire Hospitals NHS Trust
- Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust (Royal Hallamshire Hospital)
- 3. North West Coast
- Countess of Chester Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
- Lancashire Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
- 4. Greater Manchester
- East Lancashire Hospitals NHS Trust (Royal Blackburn Teaching Hospital)
- Northern Care Alliance NHS Foundation Trust (Fairfield General Hospital)
- 5. East Midlands
- No current sites.
- 6. West Midlands
- The Dudley Group NHS Trust
- The Royal Wolverhampton NHS Trust
- 7. Eastern
- No current sites.
- 8. West of England
- Royal United Hospital Bath NHS Trust
- 9. Thames Valley and South Midlands
- Berkshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust
- Royal Berkshire NHS Foundation Trust (The Royal Berkshire Hospital)
- 10. North Thames
- Barking, Havering & Redbridge University Hospitals NHS Trust
- Barts Health NHS Trust (Royal London Hospital, Whipps Cross Hospital and Newham Hospital)
- Mid & South Essex NHS Foundation Trust (Basildon Hospital)
- Homerton University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust (Homerton University Hospital)
- North Middlesex University Hospital NHS Trust
- Royal Free London NHS Foundation Trust (Barnet & Chase Farm Hospitals)
- University College London Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
- 11. South London
- Croydon Health Services NHS Trust (Croydon University Hospital)
- Epsom & St Helier University Hospitals NHS Trust (Epsom General Hospital)
- Guy’s & St Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust
- King's College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust (Princess Royal University Hospital, Denmark Hill)
- Lewisham & Greenwich Hospital NHS Trust (Lewisham University Hospital)
- St George's Healthcare NHS Trust
- 12. North West London
- No current sites.
- 13. Kent, Surrey and Sussex
- Ashford and St Peter's Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust (St Peter's Hospital)
- Dartford & Gravesham NHS Trust (Darent Valley Hospital)
- East Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust (Eastbourne District General Hospital)
- Maidstone & Tunbridge Wells NHS Trust
- 14. Wessex
- University Hospitals Dorset NHS Foundation Trust (Poole Hospital, Royal Bournemouth County Hospital)
- 15. South West Peninsula
- Livewell South West (Mount Gould Hospital)
- Plymouth Hospitals NHS Trust (Derriford Hospital)
- Royal Cornwall Hospitals NHS Trust
- Royal Devon University Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust
- Somerset NHS Foundation Trust (Williton Community Hospital, South Petherton Hospital, Yeovil District Hospital)