To ensure our research can be used in the future to give lots of different stroke patients information about their recovery, we need to increase the number of stroke survivors who take part in the study.
To help to do this, we are working with the Clinical Research Network (CRN) in the Stroke Specialty. The CRN are funded by the National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) to co-ordinate and develop stroke research nationally. We are very excited about this as it hopefully means we can vastly increase the numbers of stroke survivors we reach.
At this stage, we will continue to carry out all the MRI scans and language tests at our centre in London (except for patients seen at University College London Hospitals NHS Trust or some clinics at Newcastle Upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust where we will instead use copies of clinical scans). A later step will involve arranging for scans to be carried out at some more of the recruiting hospitals so that patients taking part in the study can be scanned at their local hospital rather than travelling to London.
Working with clinical MRI scans from NHS hospitals, rather than MRI scans conducted at our research centre will also mean that we can make sure that our recovery prediction tool will work on scanners and computers at regional hospitals and can be used by patients, doctors and therapists around the country.
Referrals from clinicians to PLORAS should now come via the Clinical Research Network from clinical settings that are PLORAS study sites, so that the approved recruitment procedures can be followed.
Is PLORAS open to new CRN sites?
We are accepting new sites, but currently prioritise set up based on, e.g. data gaps, and may put sites on hold for a period. If you are considering opening PLORAS at your site, please Contact Us for a Protocol and Expression of Interest form, and we will advise on the following steps.
If your clinical setting is listed as a site below, and you would like to be involved with PLORAS:
- Contact Us and we will give you the contact details of your site's Principal Investigator for PLORAS.
- They can then advise you regarding how the recruitment is taking place at your site.
- If your patients are interested in being involved in PLORAS, you can signpost them to the PLORAS website for information, and then flag the patients to your local CRN Practitioner.
If your clinical setting is not listed as a site, and you would like to be involved with PLORAS:
- Speak to your CRN Practitioner (ask locally to find out who this).
- If they would like to proceed, they will need to complete an Expression of Interest form (we can provide this) and return it to us (see also above under 'Is PLORAS open to new CRN sites?').
PLORAS recruitment sites
Click on the Local Clinical Research Network names for a list of sites which are either currently set up, or are in the process of setting up as PLORAS recruitment sites
(Sites who have expressed interest but who are currently on hold are not listed here).
- 1. North East and North Cumbria
- Newcastle Upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, Newcastle University Medical School
- 2. Yorkshire and Humber
- Bradford Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
- Doncaster and Bassetlaw Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, Doncaster Royal Infirmary
- Hull and East Yorkshire Hospitals NHS Trust
- Mid Yorkshire Hospitals NHS Trust, Mid Yorkshire Hospital
- Northern Lincolnshire and Goole Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, Scunthorpe General Hospital
- Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, Royal Hallamshire Hospital
- 3. North West Coast
- Countess of Chester Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
- Lancashire Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
- 4. Greater Manchester
- Central Manchester NHS Foundation Trust, Manchester Royal Infirmary and Trafford Hospitals
- East Cheshire NHS Trust, Macclesfield District General Hospital
- Pennine Acute Hospitals NHS Trust, Fairfield General Hospital
- University Hospital of South Manchester NHS Foundation Trust
- 5. East Midlands
- Chesterfield Royal Hosptial NHS Foundation Trust, Chesterfield Royal Hospital
- Sherwood Forest Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, Kings Mill Hospital
- 6. West Midlands
- Sandwell & West Birmingham Hospitals NHS Trust, City Hospital
- The Dudley Group NHS Trust
- The Royal Wolverhampton NHS Trust
- The Shrewsbury & Telford Hospitals NHS Trust, The Princess Royal Hospital
- University Hospitals Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust
- Wye Valley NHS Trust
- 7. Eastern
- Cambridge University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, Cambridge University Hospital
- Peterborough and Stamford Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, Peterborough City Hospital City (with Cambridge and Peterborough Foundation Trust Community Services, City Care Centre as a PIC [Participant Information Centre] site for Peterborough City Hospital)
- 8. West of England
- Royal United Hospital Bath NHS Trust
- University Hospitals Bristol NHS Foundation Trust, Bristol Royal Infirmary
- 9. Thames Valley and South Midlands
No current sites.
- 10. North Thames
- Barking, Havering & Redbridge University Hospitals NHS Trust
- Barts Health NHS Trust, Royal London Hospital, Whipps Cross Hospital and Newham Hospital
- Basildon & Thurrock University Hospitals NHS Trust, Basildon Hospital
- Homerton University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, Homerton University Hospital
- Luton & Dunstable NHS Foundation Trust
- North Middlesex University Hospital NHS Trust
- Princess Alexandra NHS Trust, Princess Alexandra Hospital
- Royal Free NHS Foundation Trust, Barnet & Chase Farm Hospitals
- University College London Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
- 11. South London
- Croydon Health Services NHS Trust, Croydon University Hospital
- Epsom and St Helier University Hospitals NHS Trust, Epsom General Hospital
- Guys and St Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust
- King's College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, Princess Royal University Hospital and Denmark Hill
- Kingston Hospitals NHS Trust, Kingston Hospital
- Lewisham and Greenwich Hospital NHS Trust, Lewisham University Hospital
- St George's Healthcare NHS Trust
- 12. North West London
- The Hillingdon Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, Hillingdon Hospital
- 13. Kent, Surrey and Sussex
- Ashford and St Peter's Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, St Peter's Hospital
- Brighton & Sussex University Hospital Trust, Brighton Royal Sussex County Hospital
- Dartford & Gravesham NHS Trust, Darent Valley Hospital
- East Kent Hospitals University NHS Foundation Trust, Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother Hospital
- East Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust, Eastbourne District General Hospital
- Frimley Park Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
- Maidstone and Tunbridge Wells NHS Trust
- 14. Wessex
- Hampshire Hospitals Foundation Trust, Royal Hampshire County Hospital
- Poole Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, Poole Hospital
- Royal Bournemouth County Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, Royal Bournemouth County Hospital
- Solent NHS Trust, St James's Hospital and Western Community Hospital
- 15. South West Peninsula
- Livewell South West, Mount Gould Hospital
- Plymouth Hospitals NHS Trust, Derriford Hospital
- Royal Cornwall Hospitals NHS Trust
- Royal Devon & Exeter NHS Foundation Trust
- Somerset Partnership NHS Foundation Trust, Williton Community Hospital and South Petherton Hospital
- Yeovil District Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, Yeovil District Hospital