New secure payment service for student fees
12 May 2023
UCL has partnered with a new payment provider, Flywire, to enable all self-paying domestic and international students to pay tuition and accommodation fees safely and securely – plus with cheaper foreign exchange rates.
The new payment service offers a secure and simplified payment process, providing full transparency and tracking capabilities whilst saving you money.
What is changing?
The new payment service is being released in stages. The first release has been rolled out, and you can now process tuition fees payments in Portico with Flywire.
Other payments will transition to Flywire throughout the remainder of the 2022/23 academic year for all remaining payments, such as:
- tuition fee deposits
- application fees
Please note that we are no longer accepting payments for tuition fees via PayOnline or directly into UCL’s bank account. Please pay your tuition fees through Flywire, which is accessible through Portico.
Why are we making these changes?
Modernising our payment offering provides you with an improved user experience journey. Some benefits of the new service include:
- Improved student experience – the payment portal is a secure and safe single point of entry for all student payments, allowing students from most countries to pay from their home country and in their home currency where available.
- Modernised payment offering – students can use a variety of payment methods, like bank transfer, debit or credit card, open banking, and e-wallet (including Alipay, PayPal etc.).
- Financial savings – the service provides cheaper foreign exchange rates for students, with a best rate guarantee for local currency bank transfers
- 24/7 Support – including multilingual support for students via phone, live chat, email, and more.
- Improved visibility – payments can be tracked online through the mobile app, or by contacting Flywire directly.
Details of the new payment service can be on UCL’s dedicated student payment website.