UCL academics elected as Fellows of the Academy of Social Sciences
5 September 2022
Five UCL academics have been elected as Fellows of the Academy of Social Sciences in recognition of their excellence in their fields and their work tackling the major issues currently facing the UK.
The Academy of Social Sciences Fellowship comprises 1,500 social scientists from academia, private and third sectors. New Fellows are recognised after an independent peer process for the impact of their cross-disciplinary work and their wider contributions to the social sciences for public benefit.
The academics elected to the Fellowship are: Professor Alex Bryson (UCL Social Research Institute); Professor Qing Gu (UCL Centre for Educational Leadership); Professor Joanna Chataway, (UCL Department of Science, Technology, Engineering and Public Policy - STEaPP); Professor Andrew Hudson-Smith (UCL Centre for Advanced Spatial Analysis)(CASA); and Professor Ian Preston (UCL Economics).
They join 40 other highly accomplished social scientists from across Britain and overseas elected as new Fellows this autumn, with the cohort representing a balance of practitioners and academics.
Professor Geraint Rees, UCL Vice-Provost (Research, Innovation & Global Engagement) said: “I’m delighted to see such a broad and talented group of academics being elected to the Academy of Social Sciences. They bring a broad range of expertise to UCL and the world, and their election reminds us of the vital importance of the social sciences in today’s world.”
Will Hutton, President of the Academy of Social Sciences, said: "The Academy of Social Sciences is delighted to welcome an excellent range of highly distinguished social scientists to join our ranks - as the work of social science become ever more important. We look forward to engaging with them in our work."
The Academy’s Fellowship is made up of distinguished individuals from academic, public, private and third sectors, across the full spectrum of the social sciences. Through leadership, scholarship, applied research, policymaking, and practice, they have helped to deepen the understanding of, and address, some of the toughest challenges facing our society and the world.
- View the full list of Autumn 2022 Fellows
- Professor Alex Bryson’s academic profile
- Professor Qing Gu’s academic profile
- Professor Joanna Chataway’s academic profile
- Professor Andrew Hudson-Smith’s academic profile
- Professor Ian Preston’s academic profile
- UCL Social Research Institute
- UCL STEaPP
- UCL Centre for Advanced Spatial Analysis
- UCL Department of Economics
- IOE, UCL’s Faculty of Education & Society
- UCL Faculty of Engineering
- The Bartlett, UCL Faculty of the Built Environment
- UCL Faculty of Social & Historical Sciences
- Academy of Social Sciences
- Top (L-R): Professor Alex Bryson, Professor Qing Gu.
Bottom (L-R) Professor Joanna Chataway, Professor Andrew Hudson-Smith and Professor Ian Preston.
- Academy of Social Sciences