Kennedy, Shipley et al put UCL MechEng on the Engineering Icons Map
2 November 2023
A National Engineering Day campaign by the Royal Academy of Engineering and Transport for London, featured five UCL MechEng people as Tube stations in an Engineering Icons London Underground map.
Pioneering former Head of Department, Sir Alexander Blackie William Kennedy and Professor of Healthcare Engineering Rebecca Shipley (OBE), are amongst the UCL MechEng names honoured by Transport for London and the Royal Academy of Engineering in their Engineering Icons tube map.
The map released for National Engineering Day (1 November 2023) features a wide variety of engineers past and present represented as London Underground stations. Other MechEng names spotted en route are:
- 2020 MEng alumnus, RAEng Young Engineer of the Year and STEM Ambassador extraordinaire George Imafidon (MBE),
- UCL Engineering's Professor of Materials and Society Mark Miodownik (OBE)
- Former post-doctoral research associate and health technology entrepreneur Dr Katerina Spranger.
- Alumna (BEng and PhD at UCL) Professor of Biomaterials, Eleanor Stride
Shipley hailed the map as part of the Royal Academy of Engineering’s effort to “…shine a light on the diversity of the engineering profession - both in terms of the people who are engineers, but also the fields we work in.”
Project partners Transport for London said, “The goal is to inspire people of all backgrounds to study science, technology, engineering (in particular) and mathematical subjects, and then pursue them professionally.”
You can view or download the map and spot your favourite engineer here.
- Professor Sir Alexander Blackie William Kennedy
- Professor Mark Miodownik OBE
- Professor Rebecca Shipley OBE
- George Imafidon (MBE)