Drupal CMS: External widgets
Learn to embed external widgets in Drupal.
In Drupal, we use widgets to embed third-party software into a page. Third-party software is not managed by UCL but by external companies. Examples of third-party software are Twitter, YouTube etc.
Third-party platforms may not be GDPR compliant. If you are collecting personal data in a form, be sure to run a data protection impact assessment on both the platform and the form content. For example, you must include a clear privacy notice for MailChimp. The Data Protection team in Legal Services will be able to advise.
List of current widgets (updated June 2020)
- YouTube - platform for videos
- Mixcloud - platform for podcasts
- SlideShare - platform for showing presentations
- Issuu - platform for showing publications. (The website embed feature is available to paid users only.)
- Vimeo - platform for videos
- Instagram - platform for sharing images
- Twitter - microblogging platform
- SoundCloud - platform for music and podcast content
- Flickr Image/Slideshow - platform for showing photographs
- Gecko Form
- Google Form
- Google Calendar
- Eventbrite - platform for events and ticketing
- MediaCentral - platform for showing UCL videos (embed using share URL) - see UCL MediaCentral
- Local Media
- Current Students Fee Schedules
- IRIS Research Groups
- Evening courses enrolment form
- MailChimp - email marketing (sign-up form)
- Glassdoor - job search and company review
- Medium - blogging platform
- Momento360 - platform for 360 images and videos
To embed the widget
When editing use Chrome, Firefox or Safari but NOT Internet Explorer.
- Go to the page where you would like to embed the widget
- Ensure you are in editing mode
- Click where you want the embedded media to appear
- In the editing toolbar click on the Embed external widgets icon - </>
- Complete the field with the URL or ID of the individual media item and follow the instructions where relevant
- You will see a box with the words 'Widget Placeholder' inside it and the URL below
- Change whatever else you need to change
- Finally, check you are happy with the result, including on a mobile device
In order to show publications, you will need to use a URL.
To find the relevant URL, go to the dedicated web page below which has all the instructions.