Connecting to BT Public Wi-Fi without a BT account with Windows
This guide explains how to connect to a public BT Wi-Fi network without a BT account (available to UCL staff and students).
This guide is aimed at...
Before you start...
- You must be aware of and abide by the UCL Computing Regulations
- You need your UCL user ID & password
- You will need to have downloaded and installed the Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client (including a supported anti-virus and firewall) – see Connecting to the UCL VPN with Microsoft Windows
- Click the Network icon (see Fig.1) to view a list of available Networks.
Fig.1 – Examples of network icons circled in taskbar
- If you see BTWi-fi (Open) click Connect (see Fig.2)
Fig.2 – BTWi-fi option in networks list
- Once connected it will say No Internet, open (see Fig.3) A web page will automatically open (see Fig.4) asking you to sign in if you already have a BT Wi-Fi account or to buy access. This web page can be closed.
Fig.3 – Connected to BTWi-fi Fig.4 – BT Wi-Fi log in or purchase web page
- Open the Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client
- In the server address box, enter vpn.ucl.ac.uk and click Connect
- Select the bt-vpn.ucl.ac.uk option from the Group dropdown menu (see Fig.5). If you using an Apple product you will need to click ‘Back’ on the initial login pop-up to change the group option.
Please note: The bt-vpn.ucl.ac.uk group ensures that all network traffic goes over the VPN. If you choose the RemoteAccess profile, some services which do not go over the VPN will not work (i.e. Microsoft Office365 and Teams).
Fig.5 – Cisco AnyConnect connection windows
- Enter your UCL username and password and click OK. Once the VPN has connected you will then have access to UCL resources and the internet through BT Wi-Fi.
Please note: Ensure the Group option is changed back to RemoteAccess when you are not using BT Wi-Fi. This will improve the performance of Microsoft services (i.e. Microsoft Office365 and Teams).
Having trouble connecting?
For further instructions please see Wi-Fi troubleshooting & known issues.
Help & Support
For further help and assistance you will need to contact the IT Services.