Recommended SSH Clients
We've tested a number of Windows SSH clients with our SSH service and recommend the following programs:
With Graphical User Interface (GUI)
- WinSCP - WinSCP is our primary recommendation for a Windows SSH client/program for its ease of use; we provide step-by-step instructions on using WinSCP to access your project storage.
- Filezilla - We recommend this SSH client if you are also intending to use the UCL Data Safe Haven (DSH) because it is the same client tool recommended by the providers of that service. This client is cross-platform, with versions available for Windows, Mac OSX and Linux.
- Cyberduck - This is available for Windows and Mac OS X and contains support for other types of storage such as Amazon S3.
- Core FTP - Our tests have shown that Core FTP (of which there is a free version) provides consistently greater transfer rates than any other Windows SSH client we have tried. Unfortunately the interface is not as intuitive as WinSCP so we only recommend this if you are reasonably confident with computers.
- Putty - Is a free implementation of Telnet and SSH for Windows and Unix.
- Cygwin - Is a collection of GNU and open source tools providing similar functionality to Linux.
- MobaXterm - Is an enhanced terminal for Windows, providing many essential Unix commands into a single executable.
Related guides and other info
Help and support
For further help and assistance you can contact Research Data-Support