Students' infographics on landmark glaucoma trials published
12 March 2021
As a way of developing science communication, visual literacy and critical appraisal skills, MSc Ophthalmology students were asked to create infographics of landmark glaucoma studies.
Rashmi Mathew and Dr Christin Henein are Module Lead and Deputy Module lead for the Glaucoma Module of the MSc Ophthalmology masters programme. They ran a science communication workshop with masters students, teaching them about visual literacy, shared decision making, risk communication and critical appraisal of the literature. To tie all the learning together, the students were asked to produce infographics on landmark glaucoma trials.
This week, five of the 12 student-led infographics were published in Eye Journal, just in time for World Glaucoma Week. The rest have been accepted for publication and will appear in subsequent issues.
Dr Christin Henein and Ms Rashmi Mathew wrote an editorial on the subject in the paper titled "Use of infographics to communicate landmark glaucoma trials".
The Ophthalmology MSc provides an in-depth engagement with the study of Ophthalmology in a contemporary clinical and research-focused context. It is intended to provide a comprehensive grounding in the principles, approaches and methodologies that inform current practice in the specific clinical sub-specialities in this rapidly advancing area.
- Use of infographics to communicate landmark glaucoma trials
- Infographic: Effectiveness in Angle-closure Glaucoma of Lens Extraction (EAGLE) study
- Infographic: Collaborative Initial Glaucoma Treatment Study (CIGTS)
- Infographic: Low-Pressure Glaucoma Treatment Study (LoGTS)
- Infographic: Primary Tube Versus Trabeculectomy Study (PTVT)
- Infographic: Collaborative Normal-Tension Glaucoma Study (CNTGS)
- Ms Rashmi Mathew
- Dr Christin Henein
- "Clinicla Trials at a Glance" in Eye