Working with our neighbours
As part of our commitment to supporting the local community, we have a programme of public engagement in place, including:
- A public art programme
- Work experience placements and mentoring schemes for local schools and colleges
- An outreach programme and educational online resources
- Support for community use of facilities like the auditorium
Additional local benefits include:
- Clinical care for local people with neurological disorders and jobs for the local community
- A £10 million boost to the local economy
- NHNN outpatient facility and an MRI scanning facility
- Contributions to local transport, affordable housing and Community Partnership Plans with local charities and organisations
Community Garden Project
The project is part of a wider UCL public arts programme to connect artistic practices with research on neurology and dementia. An artist with an ongoing interest in the uses and potentials of public space, Harun’s project will focus on the development of garden spaces within the new IoN-DRI building on Grays Inn Road. The project so far has focused on building a team of collaborators, forging relationships with local stakeholders and organisations with relevant expertise, and exploring relationships between plants and memory across different cultures. We are now laying the groundwork for a series of collaborative garden sessions to begin in spring 2023.
Harun has co-designed a number of community gardens to date, often taking a collaborative approach and working with community groups to imagine the spaces together.
As part of this consultation process, we were able to make a number of significant changes to the scheme to minimise disruption to our neighbouring community.
In addition to these developments, UCL has committed significant support to enable the future growth of the neighbouring Calthorpe Project, an asset to the local community which provides a community garden, sports pitches and a community centre
During the construction phase, as part of our joint commitment to supporting the local community and environment, our construction partner, ISG are delivering a number of community-facing initiatives