The history of free school meals: how its past dishes out lessons for future servings | RFTRW S21E03
15 January 2024
This podcast hears about the impact of the UK’s School Meals Service on schools and their communities since its inception in 1906, and how it can adapt to the challenges of food insecurity and the impact of the economic crisis on children's learning.
Research for the Real World: S21E03
Brian Simon Professor of History of Education
Professor Gary McCulloch is Principal Investigator of an ESRC-funded research project finding out what lessons may be learned from the lived experiences of school meal recipients, teachers, parents and catering staff, both now and in the past.
Listen to the podcast
You can also listen to the podcast on:
- Professor Gary McCulloch’s research profile
- UCL leads £1m collaboration to investigate the school meals service
- The School Meals Service: Past, Present - and Future
- International Centre for Historical Research in Education
- Department of Education, Practice and Society
- Research for the Real World
- More IOE podcasts