Autoimmune diseases An overactive immune system can attack normal, skin, blood vessels and insulin producing cells, which can cause scleroderma, vasculitis and diabetes. Type 1 diabetes Type 1 diabetes makes up around 10% of all cases of diabetes. Type 2 diabetes, makes up the other 90%. Microvascular Our microvascular laboratory was set up to improve our understanding of microvascular changes in autoimmune and other diseases. Scleroderma Scleroderma describes a family of diseases that usually cause thickening or hardness of the skin. Vasculitis Vasculitis is an autoimmune disease, which means your immune system attacks the blood vessels by mistake.