UCL Human Resources


Applying for a National Insurance Number

How to apply for a National Insurance Number and related information

How to apply for a National Insurance Number (NINo)

Call the Jobcentre Plus on 0800 141 2075.

If you are an EU/EEA national, or non-EU/EEA national who has applied for a visa or Biometric Residence Permit from within the UK, you will be able to arrange an appointment at your local Jobcentre office.

If you are a non-EU/EEA national and hold a valid UK Visa or Biometric Residence Permit allowing Right to Work in the UK, you will be able to request an application form.

Once the application is processed, you will receive your NINo letter by post. When you get the letter, please send your NINo to Payroll Services at payroll@ucl.ac.uk

Information for Tier 2 Visa Holders

If you have been granted Leave to Enter on a Tier 2 Visa following an application made on or after 15th June 2016, you will automatically be allocated a NINo. This can be found in the remarks on the reverse of your Biometric Residence Permit.

The ‘Fast Track’ application service is now closed

UCL Human Resources used to run a ‘Fast Track’ service where Research and Academic staff could fill out a NINo application form at HR Reception, which would then be sent to the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) for processing. This service is no longer available as the service was closed by the DWP in December 2017, so all new staff will have to apply by calling the Jobcentre Plus.

About National Insurance

The appropriate national insurance contributions will be deducted from your salary and forwarded to H.M Revenue & Customs National Insurance Contributions Office together with your national insurance number. This number is normally located on your income tax form P45 which is provided by your former employer. If it is not and you have a separate record of it, please ensure that you quote it on your Employee Registration form. 

Your National Insurance Number (NINo) is your own personal account number.  The number makes sure that the National Insurance contributions and tax you pay are properly recorded on your account.  It also acts as a reference number for the whole social security system.

Employees who have reached UK State Retirement Age must provide a Certificate of Age Exception CA4140. Married women who have elected to pay a reduced rate of national insurance contributions must provide a Reduced Liability Certificate CA4139. Until they do so full contributions will be deducted.

For further information on National Insurance, visit  www.gov.uk/national-insurance