UCL attends Association of Commonwealth Universities’ ‘Building a better world’ event
10 December 2018
UCL staff joined a host of university leaders and HRH The Duchess of Sussex to discuss tackling world issues through higher education
Representatives from UCL including Vice-Provost (International) Dame Nicola Brewer joined fellow university leaders, academics and international scholarship students at an Association of Commonwealth Universities (ACU) event in London on Wednesday 5 December to explore how higher education can help build a better world.
UCL's representatives at the event included Dr Ella Cockbain, Lecturer in Security and Crime Science, Faculty of Engineering Science; Dr Anne Gold, Honorary Senior Research Associate at the UCL Institute of Education and Professor Adriana Allen, Professor of Development Planning and Urban Sustainability at the Bartlett Development Planning Unit.
Hosted by King's College London, the event was an opportunity to discuss the role of universities in addressing human trafficking and modern slavery, gender equality and inclusion, peace and reconciliation, and climate change and resilience.
HRH The Duchess of Sussex attended the event and took part in discussions, following her first official speech to students at the University of the South Pacific in Fiji in October 2018.
Other attendees included:
- Professor Lord Nicholas Stern, Chair of the Grantham Research Institute on Climate Change at the London School of Economics and Political Science
- Professor Dame Nancy Rothwell, Vice-Chancellor of the University of Manchester
- Professor Paul Boyle, Vice Chair of the ACU Council and Vice-Chancellor of the University of Leicester
- Professor Edward Byrne, Principal of King's College London
- Professor Nick Petford, Vice-Chancellor of the University of Northampton
- Professor Shearer West, Vice-Chancellor of the University of Nottingham
- Professor Funmi Olonisakin, Vice-Principal (International) of King's College London
- Professor Shaun Ewen, Chair of the ACU Peace and Reconciliation Network and Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Indigenous) of the University of Melbourne
- Dr Joanna Newman, Chief Executive and Secretary General, Association of Commonwealth Universities