The Global Engagement Funds support UCL academics to collaborate with colleagues across the world
2022/23 FUNDING CALL NOW CLOSED.
Offered as part of the wider Research, Innovation and Global Engagement (RIGE) funding streams, UCL Global Engagement Funds (GEF) provide seed funding to UCL academics to facilitate research or education collaboration, public engagement, global policy and capacity building through partnerships that address global challenges, and which may have the potential for global reach and real-world impact.
Applications from all fields are welcome. Funding can support a wide variety of activities and research initiatives with global partners in any country. For full details on what can and cannot be funded please consult the guidance document. For examples of projects previously funded by GEF, please see the case studies below.
Sustainable international work in a time of changing mobility
In line with UCL Sustainable Travel Policy, methods of remote collaboration are eligible for funding and encouraged where possible, within the limits of what is permissible by the financial regulations of UCL and aligned with your own departmental guidelines.
Applications are open to UCL staff members with the following roles:
- Professor or equivalent
- Reader/Assistant Professor or equivalent
- Senior Lecturer/Principal Researcher/Principal Research Associate or equivalent
- Lecturer/Senior Research Associate or equivalent
- Post Doc/Researcher/Research Associate or equivalent
- Professional Service & VP Office staff are also eligible to apply
Applicants must have an open-ended UCL contract or a fixed-term contract which lasts until at least July 2023. If an applicant has a fixed-term contract that does not last until July 2023 they can apply if their contract covers the dates in which the project/initiative is due to take place and must have a co-applicant who is a UCL staff member with an open-ended contract.
Up to £5,000 is available for each new project undertaken between before 31 July 2023.
How to apply
- Before applying, please read the criteria and guidance notes.
- The deadline for applications is 09:00 UK time on 3 October 2022.
- Applications can be made using the downloadable Word Application Form. Regretfully, applications submitted in other formats cannot be accepted.
- To submit an application, upload a completed Application Form to the online portal before the deadline.
If you have any queries, please get in touch by email to UCLglobalengagement@ucl.ac.uk
Application Form (Word)
- Europe (Italy): Dr Dimitrios Kanoulas, UCL Computer Science
- North America (USA): Dr Nathaniel Morris, UCL History
- South East Asia (Thailand): Professor Andrew Stahl, UCL the Slade School of Fine Art
- Africa & Middle East (Rwanda): Dr Jenevieve Mannell, UCL Institute for Global Health
- Latin America (Peru): Dr John Hurst, UCL Division of Medicine
- East Asia (China): Professor Nikolaos Konstantinidis, Vice-Dean (International), UCL Mathematical & Physical Sciences
- South Asia (India): Professor Monica Lakhanpaul, UCL Great Ormond Street Institute of Child Health
For the latest news about UCL’s international activity, partnerships and opportunities, subscribe to the bimonthly Global Update newsletter.