Institute of Epidemiology & Health Care


Study Leave (Fieldwork)

Any research student who is required to conduct fieldwork or research outside of the UK must apply for approved study leave (see 'Changes to your Registration Status' - Study Leave). 

The Institute of Epidemiology and Health Care has implemented a further local policy to ensure that all students are appropriately covered by travel insurance and we are aware when students are out of the country in relation to monitoring progress.

The following policy has been implemented at IEHC:

1. All periods of absence where a student is required to carry out fieldwork outside of the UK should be recorded as study leave. Supervisors are required to complete and sign a Study Leave Request form on behalf their student, which can be found here: 'Changes to your Registration Status'. Once the form is signed, please send it to the Institute Graduate Tutor, Annie Britton (a.britton@ucl.ac.uk) for approval, cc'd to Andreas Opitz a.opitz@ucl.ac.uk). 

2. Students on approved study leave may return to the UK for a period of less than 4 weeks during that study leave, and leave again, with no need to apply for an additional period of study leave.

3. All students going on study leave should check whether they have the appropriate insurance in relation to their destination, by contacting June Campbell in UCL's Finance Division.

The above information is also available online via the Institute staff intranet: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/epidemiology-health-care/staff-intranet/education

If you have any queries regarding the above, please do not hesitate to contact Andreas Opitz in the first instance.