EPICentre Seminars & Discussions
26 March 2020
The EPICentre Seminars and Discussions of this academic year comes to an end with an online seminar. The seminars demonstrated and discussed state of the art research and findings on relevant topics to natural disasters and engineering resilience.
The EPICentre Seminars and Discussions of this academic year comes to an end with an online seminar for all to join. The seminars demonstrated and discussed state of the art research and findings on relevant topics to natural disasters and engineering, looking at various aspects of natural hazard resilience and disaster management.
Fourteen inspiring and engaging presentation were delivered by academic staff of different institutes as well as guest speakers from the relevant industries. The main audience of EPICentre seminars are the MSc Earthquake Engineering with Disaster Management students, alongside EPICentre and CEGE academic staff, PhD students, research assistants and associates.
The following is the list of presenters and their discussed topics:
- Fire Disaster & Safety
by Prof Jose Torero, Head of UCL Department of Civil, Environmental & Geomatic Engineering
- Seismic Risk of Hospital Services in Lima – Peru
by Juan Palomino from UCL EPICentre
- Statistical Sensitivity of GMPE*s to Earthquake Catalogue & Conditional Spectra
by Dr Alireza Azarbakht from University of Strathclyde Glasgow - UK
- How does Earthquake Science & CAT Modelling help the (Re)Insurance Industry?
by Dr Crescenzo Petrone from Willis Re - UK
- Can we Predict Fire with Data?
by Xiuqi Xi from UCL Department of Civil, Environmental & Geomatic Engineering
- Quantification & Mitigation of Collapse Risk in Steel Moment Frame Buildings
by Dr Ahmed Elkady from University of Southampton - UK
- An Introduction to Catastrophe Flood Models
by Dr Iacopo Carnacina from Liverpool John Moores University
- Waterproofing Insulated Cavity Walls
by Henry Zhu from UCL EPICentre
- Recent Advances in Inerter-Based Vibration Control for Seismic Protection of Building Structures
by Dr Agathoklis Giaralis from City University of London - UK
- Use of Concrete Filled Tubes in Accelerated Bridge Construction
by Prof Dawn Lehman from University of Washington - US
- Victorian Lighthouses Under Extreme Wave Impacts: Historic Evolution & Structural Analysis
by Dr Athanasios Pappas from UCL EPICentre
- Spatial Structures, An Archineer’s Journey
by Dr Alireza Behnejad from University of Surrey - UK
- FRP IN CIVIL INFRASTRUCTURE Current Status, Future Trends & Opportunities
by Dr Dilum Fernando from University of Queensland – Australia
- Understanding & Advancing Performance-Based Earthquake Engineering Consequence Predictions
by Dr Gemma Cremen from UCL EPICentre
iRESIST+ Innovative Seismic & Energy Retrofitting of the Existing Building Stoke
by Dr Daniel Pohoryles from European Commission's Joint Research Centre (JRC)
Disaster Risk Engineering: Damage Assessments Remote and On-the-Ground
by Dr Josh Macabuag from SARAID
The EPICentre Seminars and Discussions will continue after the Easter breaks with more topics on natural disaster and engineering resilience.
Follow EPICentre on social media for the latest updates and news on upcoming seminars and events.