This is a five-day course on managing hearing loss in infants and children to optimise life-long auditory potential.
Dates: Fridays over 5 weeks from 21 February 2020 - 20 March 2020
Course Director: Carolina Leal
This five-day course combines theoretical evidence with practical knowledge and skills which you'll be able to apply immediately in whatever clinical setting you work in.
You’ll also have an opportunity to network with a range of professionals from different backgrounds.
The course is updated annually to reflect the latest trends in technology and clinical practice.
Who this course is suitable for:
- audiologists and audiology assistants
- teachers of the deaf
- speech and language therapists
- general practitioners with a special interest in audiology
- audiovestibular doctors and other health professionals
You should have previous knowledge and experience in general audiology.
- Family centred hearing management
- Hearing aid selection verification, evaluation and monitoring of amplification progress in children
- Cohesive intervention and assessment of progress by a multidisciplinary team
- Functional speech outcome measures
- Advanced amplification considerations
- Educational management of children with hearing loss
Teaching and structure:
The course will run on five consecutive Fridays.
It uses blended learning methods to cater for different learning styles.
Seminar-style, interactive teaching is supplemented by:
- group exercises and class discussion
- practical demonstrations using videos
- completion of case-studies with peer-evaluated clinical procedures
- self-directed reading and pre-reading around current structure and practice in paediatric audiology services
- e-learning course work
This course is led by Carolina Leal, with lectures and seminars given by experienced paediatric audiology clinicians and habilitation professionals using real case examples.
This masterclass shares one day with the Advanced Audiological Management masterclass.
Following this course you'll be able to:
- Apply methods for verification and demonstrate functional benefit from hearing aid amplification in babies and children
- Provide safe, effective and wearable amplification throughout childhood years
- Use new technologies in amplification and remote microphone technology
- Support education and literacy skills for the hearing impaired child in the classroom
- Use appropriate counselling techniques to support family in their role as the main facilitator in their child’s communication potential
- Take timely clinical decisions and making onward referrals for infants and children
Certificates and accreditation:
You'll receive a certificate of attendance if you attend all five days.
This course will be CPD accredited by the British Society of Audiology (BSA) and the British Academy of Audiology (BAA) – reflective practice.
|Cost of 5 Day Masterclass||£580|
Cost of 4 Day Masterclass
This masterclass can only be booked as a full course (i.e. there will be no 1 day, 2 day etc options).
There is a special price for those who are taking this module in conjunction with the Advanced Audiological Management Masterclass as there will be an overlap of one day with this course.
- Payment via UCL Store must be made at least 2 working days before the start of the course
- In order to secure your place using a purchase order, these must be received at least 3 weeks before the start of the course
NB: Your place on the course is not secured until payment has cleared