This course is designed for all those who wish to get involved or are already currently involved in cochlear implants, at all levels and in all disciplines.
Dates: Tuesday 22 November & Tuesday 29 November 2022
Location: In Person at the Ear Institute
This course aims to provide the delegate with an understanding of auditory implants and an insight into the auditory implant team and the individual professional roles. The course focusses on current research and the impact on clinical practice. Delegates will gain insight into key issues currently debated in the field of auditory implantation and understand the clinical approaches taken with the different auditory implant systems.
Who this course is for:
- Audiologists Teachers of the deaf and educational audiologists
- Speech and language therapists
- General practitioners with a special interest in audiology
- Audiovestibular doctors and other health professionals
- ENT surgeons who wish to update or enhance their understanding of Auditory Implantation
No previous experience with Auditory Implants is needed; however you should have previous knowledge and experience in general audiology.
- Course organisers
- Professor Shakeel Saeed
- Wanda Aleksy
The broad themes of the course are:
- Candidacy, psychophysics and implant fitting
- Surgery, devices and objective measures
- Maximising outcomes and future developments
- Learning Outcomes
Following this course you will have knowledge and understanding of:
- Key components of a cochlear implant / middle ear implant / bone conduction implants / brainstem implants
- Candidacy for different auditory implants
- Differences between manufacturers and their devices
- Surgical approaches
- Objective measurements
- Fitting auditory implants in children and adults
- Habilitation and rehabilitation
- Assessing performance and outcomes
- Psychophysics of cochlear implants
- Sound processing and future directions
- Costs and Certification
- You will receive a certificate of attendance for attending both days of the masterclass.
- Cost: £500 without assessments; £1075 with assessments
Payment via UCLExtend must be made no later than one week before the start of the course.
NB: Your place on the course is not secured until payment has cleared. If you are paying via invoice, this means that a purchase order number must be provided prior to the course start.