UCL Day Nursery Use of Cameras and Mobile Phone Policy
This policy outlines the acceptable use of mobile phones and cameras and must be adhered to by all nursery users.
It is our intention to provide an environment in which children, parents and staff are safe from images being recorded and inappropriately used, in turn eliminating the following concerns:
1) Staff being distracted from their work with children.
2) The inappropriate use of mobile phone cameras around children compromising their safety.
Our aim is to:
- Have a clear policy on the acceptable use of mobile phones and cameras that is understood and adhered to by all users of the nursery.
In order to achieve this aim, we operate the following acceptable use policy:
- The Nursery allows staff to bring in personal mobile telephones and devices for their own use.
- Users bringing personal devices into nursery must ensure there is no inappropriate or illegal content on the device.
- All staff must ensure that their mobile devices are left inside their bag throughout contact time with children. Staff bags should be placed in the lockers, staffroom or office unless requested by the Manager to move them to another appropriate location.
- Mobile phone calls may only be taken at staff breaks or in staff members’ own time, except by prior arrangement with the manager.
- If staff have a personal emergency, they are free to use the nursery phone or make a personal call from their mobile in the designated staff area of the setting, i.e. staff room or office.
- If any staff member has a family emergency or similar and required to keep their mobile phone to hand, prior permission must be sought from the Manager and the mobile phone should be placed appropriately within the nursery
- Staff will need to ensure that the Manager has up to date contact information and that staff make their families, children’s schools etc. aware of emergency work telephone numbers. This is the responsibility of the individual staff member.
- All parent helpers/students will be requested to follow the same guidelines required by staff.
- During group outings staff will have access to their own personal phones, which is to be used for emergency purposes only.
- It is the responsibility of all members of staff to be vigilant and report any concerns to the Nursery Manager or Leader.
- Concerns will be taken seriously logged and investigated appropriately in conjunction with the safeguarding children policy.
- The Manager or Leader in her absence reserves the right to check the image contents of a member of staffs mobile phone should there be any cause for concern over the appropriate use of it.
- Should inappropriate material be found then our Local Authority Designated Officer (LADO) will be contacted immediately. We will follow the guidance of the LADO as to the appropriate measures for the staff member’s dismissal.
Photographs taken for the purpose of recording a child or group of children participating in activities or celebrating their achievements is an effective form or recording their progression in the Early Years Foundation Stage. However, it is essential that photographs are taken and stored appropriately to safeguard the children in our care.
- Only the designated nursery camera is to be used to take any photo within the setting or on outings.
- Images taken on this camera must be deemed suitable without putting the child/children in any compromising positions that could cause embarrassment or distress.
- All staff are responsible for the location of the camera; this should be placed within the lockable cabinet in the office when not in use.
- The camera must be locked away at the end of every session.
- Images must only be down-loaded by a member of the nursery team
- Photographs should then be distributed to members of staff (key worker) to record in children’s learning journeys.
- Under no circumstances must cameras of any kind be taken into the bathrooms without prior consultation with the Manager or Leader.
- If photographs need to be taken in a bathroom for the purpose of learning, two members of staff will be present at all times.
- Failure to adhere to the contents of this policy will lead to disciplinary procedures being followed.
Last updated: Wednesday, June 27, 2018