Bob Morris gives evidence to the Political & Constitutional Reform Committee
10 November 2011
- Professor Robert Blackburn, Professor of Constitutional Law, King's College London
- Dr Robert (Bob) Morris, Honorary Research Fellow, Constitution Unit, University College London
Purpose of the session
This is a one-off session to explore the constitutional and practical consequences of the decisions, announced on 28 October, that sons and daughters of any future monarch should have equal right to the throne, and that future monarchs should be allowed to marry Roman Catholics, although they would themselves have to remain in communion with the Church of England.
The proposals met with the unanimous approval of the heads of government of the 16 Commonwealth countries of which the Queen is Head of State, at the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting (CHOGM) in Perth, Australia.
- Political & Constitutional Reform website
- Bob Morris' previous work on the royal succession
- Anne Twomey's seminar on the pitfalls of changing the rules
- Our blog posts on the subject