UCL Great Ormond Street Institute of Child Health


Great Ormond Street Institute of Child Health


How do I begin?

If you are interested in pursuing a PhD within the UCL Great Ormond Street Institute of Child Health, you should first check that you meet the entry requirements.

Developing a project proposal and making an enquiry

If you are applying for a funded studentship, you should follow the application procedure set out within the studentship advert.

Alternatively, you may wish to make enquiries regarding one of the unfunded projects listed in ICH Unfunded Project Portfolio.  In this case, you may send your CV and an outline of your research interests to a potential supervisor.  You can either do this by looking through the A-Z of Academic and Research Staff (if you already know which Principal Investigator you wish to work with), or the Institutional Research Information System (IRIS) which is a searchable database of research staff.

Please note that when contacting a potential supervisor, you must include details of how you plan to fund your studies as well as your CV and research outline. CV's should include information about your previous studies.


Unless you are applying for a funded studentship, you should also confirm how you will be funding your studies. You will need to be sure that you have funding for both your tuition fees and living expenses for the duration of your studies. It is also possible that you may be charged an Additional Fee Element (AFE) to cover the running costs of your project.  You should discuss whether an AFE is likely to be charged with the prospective supervisor.
» Tuition fees and funding

How to apply

Finally when you and your prospective supervisor are happy with your research proposal, you should submit a formal online application.

You will be able to track the progress of your application via the UCL Applicant Portal (log in required). If you are required to submit anything further after your application has been submitted you will be notified by email and in the portal.

Apply Now

Closing dates

Students can commence their studies at at any point during the academic year (with the exception of funded studentships which may have set start dates). However we generally advise students to commence late September which is when we run a comprehensive induction programme to assist students upon their arrival. We also run a reduced induction programme in the Spring.

Further information

If at any point you wish to obtain further information you can contact the Stella Fusco, Senior Research Degrees Administrator, or Dr Claire Thorne, Departmental Graduate Tutor (Research).