UCL Department of Chemical Engineering



Getting Started - Essentials

All staff will automatically have access to MyFinance.

Changing Preferences

You will need to change your preferences before any orders are placed to ensure that items are delivered to the correct site. This is done by clicking' iProcurement' on the left hand side, followed by 'Preferences'.

It is essential that you change:

  • PO Administrator - This should be set as yourself so that you receive all purchase orders.
  • Deliver-to Address - Change to 'F43 UCL-Chemical Eng. deliveries only, Bernard Katz Bldg, Rm 4.01, Gordon Street, London, WC1H 0AH, United Kingdom' Please note that all of your deliveries will be received by Elaine Briggs at the above address who will inform you of any parcels so that you can collect them from her.

You will only need to make these changes during your first login as they will be set as your default from that point onwards.

Access to Project Codes

Info for Academics - Academics will automatically have access to their own Project codes as the grants are activated. Please send any PhD access requests to the Senior Finance and PhD Administrator.

Info for support staff and PDRA's - You will need to ask the relevant academic or supervisor which code you need access too and with their approval, the Finance Administrator can action this.

Supervisor Approval

Info for Academics - You will regularly need to look at your workflow list in MyFinance to monitor any purchases and expenses your students have entered for your approval. Relying on generated emails from the system will also work.

Info for support staff and PDRA's - All Academics will be notified of orders you place against their particular project codes allowing them to view and approve in the system.

New Supplier

UCL has a preferred supplier list that you will need to refer to when placing orders.

For one off smaller purchases the department credit card can be used. Please contact the Finance and Staffing Administrator to organise this.

However, in circumstances where a specialty item is required which cannot be provided by any of the suggested suppliers, you will need to do the following in order to add them:

1.    Fill out the New Supplier Form.
You will need to use the Sub category code form to find the correct ‘category’ and ‘sub category’ codes as mentioned on the top of the form.
2.    Obtain the company’s bank details on headed paper (a PDF file will be sufficient).
3.    Send both of the above to newsuppliers@ucl.ac.uk

Please note that procurement team will reject any incomplete  or handwritten requests.

New Supplier forms can take over a week to process and are sometimes rejected by Procurement so please be sure when putting the request through that you cannot find your items from any of UCLs preferred suppliers. You will be sent an email when the supplier is set up. 

Please note that procurement team will reject any incomplete or handwritten requests.


There are two ways to create a Purchase Order (PO):

1.    Using the E-Marketplace, where orders are taken through Science Warehouse. This method is used for smaller orders such as stationery and lab consumables from a few frequently used companies. When you make a purchase through the E-marketplace, the PO is sent automatically to the supplier.
2.    Using a Non-catalogue request. This method allows you to use any of UCL’s listed suppliers that are not accessible via the E-Marketplace. The PO is sent directly to the Finance Administrator who will then send process it on your behalf.

You will need to make sure that the items you are ordering are charged to the correct Project, Task and Award numbers provided by your supervisor.

For the step by step course in purchasing please register on Moodle course ‘MyFinance I-Procurement’, which will show you how to use the systems basic functions.

You may also like to register for ‘MyFinance Expenses’ and ‘MyFinance Navigation’ although these may be irrelevant to your role.

Delivery charges

There are some important steps you need to take before placing an order internationally as delivery costs can be extortionate if not treated carefully.

  • Check our UK suppliers in the first instance before you approach an international company.
  • When ordering overseas you MUST enquire about all delivery charges with the supplier, including any tax and duty, BEFORE raising a PO.
  • Be warned that the costs may be a lot more than the value of the items so think about if it is a necessary purchase.
  • If you have tried the above  then please contact the Finance Administrator Claire who will be able to assist you further but ONLY if you have gone through the above process. 

Please make sure you add the delivery as a separate line when raising a PO on MyFinance.

You will need to change the expense category to “Printing & Postage.Delivery charges excluding dry ice”

Your order will not approve anything unless the finance team can see the extra delivery charge or you have informed them in the ‘notes’ section of the requisition as to why it is not there (such as company offering free delivery). If the company offers free delivery, please state this here on the ‘approvals page’.


When you receive or collect your purchased items, please make sure your receipt them in MyFinance. Many payments are being placed on hold due to items not being received in the system with companies not being paid.

Purchasing – Equipment over 50K (inc VAT) 

For all orders over 50k you need to provide at least three competitive tenders or quotations for the items you are looking to purchase. There are certain exceptions in cases of specialised equipment, but the Head of Procurement must approve the waiving of tender and quotation procedures in writing before an order is issued. In these cases, a single source justification needs to be submitted to Procurement.

You will also need to complete a 50k Checklist which can be found at http://www.ucl.ac.uk/finance/purchasing/po-over-50k

The checklist must be signed by the person completing the form, then approval signatures gained from Head of Department, The School of Finance Director, and Procurement.

Once the order has been fully approved, a PO will be raised.

Documents to add are:

  • 50K Checklist
  • Three competitive quotes - including winning company
  • Relevant email correspondence


Please read the form in the right index under 'BOC Ordering guide' for more details.


It is important that you read the expenses policy before you claim an expense as there are strict rules regarding items and services that you can and cannot claim for.

More importantly, equipment purchases WILL NOT be reimbursed. These WILL BE REJECTED by the Accounts team if submitted as an expense. All equipment needs to be ordered through MyFinance.

For both of the expense claim processes, original receipts will need to be sent to Accounts Payable along with any claim forms.

Manual Expenses - Visitors

For external visitors, and students who are not on the UCL payroll system and considered an employee, expense claims need to be processed using the Expenses excel form.

All forms must now be typed and any hand-written claims will be rejected by Accounts Payable.  You do not need to sign the form as this will be done by the Senior Finance Administrator.

Please open the 'Expense Example' for details on how to complete the form.

Any forms not completed correctly will be rejected.

To receive the money to a foreign bank account, please complete the Foreign Expense claim.It is essential that the form shows a SWIFT/BIC number. Please be aware that a transfer fee of £15 will be charged for payments to a foreign bank account.

iExpenses - Staff and Students on Payroll

Staff and students who are on the payroll system must use MyFinance to claim expenses. Please select 'MyFinance log in' to begin. For instructions on how to enter an expense claim, you should search 'iExpenses' in UCL Moodle to undertake a step by step course.

You will have the ability to delegate your claim to a colleague for completion if the charges are to come from a code that you do not have access to.

If you have assigned someone else to complete the claim for you, please provide them with the original receipts.

Funds will be reimbursed in approximately two weeks.


When purchasing subscriptions, by either claiming on expenses or through raising a PO, there are a few rules that must be adhered too.

1.    Subscriptions on the Faculty approved list should be purchased by PO ONLY unless they feature on the HMRC page AND fall within either point 1a or 1b below.

If they do feature on the HMRC list, you can purchase yourself and claim on expenses providing that either:

 1a.   Savings to UCL arising from membership, for example reduced         conference attendance fees, exceed the cost of membership, or

 1b.  Membership is mandatory in order to be able to teach on a professionally accredited course.

These can be paid for by the RTA or department funds if you do not have an RTA (Teaching Fellows for example) as Faculty and UCL agree to paying these.

2.    Subscriptions that are not on the attached but are on the HMRC page can be purchased and claimed on expenses if they fall within either 1a or 1b above.

However, you cannot use department/UCL funds to pay for these as they are not on the approved attached list.

These can only be paid for by grants.

3.    In all cases where you are claiming via expenses, you must have evidence that the subscription meets either point 1a or 1b in the justification section of your expense claim. Your claim will not be processed without this.

IDT - Inter Departmental Transfer

These are needed when you are purchasing or supplying services or reimbursements from or to another department within UCL.

In Chemical Engineering IDT's are most commonly used for:

  • Purchasing ethanol from Chemistry
  • Paying for poster printing from ISD
  • Use / hire of equipment in other departments

The cost of the goods/service need to be confirmed by email with the supplying department before an IDT can be raised.

Once you have this confirmation as well as the Project, Task and Award numbers, you can create the IDT and forward it onto the Senior Finance Administrator for approval.

If you do not have access to the IDT function, then please email all the necessary details to the Finance Administrator who will organise this for you.

IDT’s can only be raised using Internet Explorer and not Firefox.

IDJ - Inter Departmental Journal

This function is used to move costs from one account to another WITHIN the department. This is to be completed by the Senior Finance Administrator so please email the below information so that it can be processed.

•    Costs from account number
•    To account number
•    Amount
•    Reason

MyFinance Reporting

The reporting system gives you all the information you need to monitor the expenditure and income against your grants 

It is important that you look at these regularly so that you have a firm control over your accounts and can detect any unusual activity and overspending.

To access the system, please follow the below link via Firefox and NOT Internet Explorer.


Please note that when entering your login details, you have to type in ‘UCLUSERS\’ followed by your username i.e. UCLUSERS\*******. Enter your password as usual.

For detailed instructions on how to navigate round reporting, please register for the online sessions via Moodle. This can be found by searching ‘MyFinance Reporting’ in the search engine.

Finance Contacts

For any more information relating to MyFinance go to http://www.ucl.ac.uk/finance/myfinance

General departmental queries:

Finance Administrator

David Alabaster d.alabaster@ucl.ac.uk ext. 33820

Technical queries:

MyFinance Helpdesk

myfinancehelpdesk@ucl.ac.uk ext. 53133

Invoices and expenses:

Accounts Payable 

apinvoices@ucl.ac.uk ext. 53234

apexpenses@ucl.ac.uk ext. 5324

MyFinance is the platform that the University use for all financial transactions. Users whom will automatically have access to the system when they begin at UCL are:

Academics use it to purchase, raise expenses, and check all income and expenditure against their allocated grants

Support Staff use it mainly for purchasing and expenses, with some more senior members also utilising it for reporting.

PDRA's will only be purchasing and raising expenses.

It is important that all the above groups of people enrol on the relevant Moodle courses to familiarise themselves with the system. You should also read through the MyFinance pages on this web site for more details specific to our department.