Lead: Dr Silvia Schievano
Location: Level 8, Nurses Home, Cardiac Unit, Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children, Great Ormond Street, London, WC1N 3JH
We are a multi-disciplinary engineering team embedded within Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children and UCL Institute of Cardiovascular Science in London, we strive to employ both experimental and computational techniques for modeling cardiovascular diseases and devices to study the function and performance of the heart. Much of our work focuses on the creation of patient specific models used in conjunction with a range of engineering analysis techniques, to support the clinical decision making process and optimise patient treatment. We also conduct advanced image processing from a range of medical imaging modalities and we print 3D models in-house using rapid prototyping technology.
1. Cosentino D, Capelli C, Derrick G, Khambadkone S, Muthurangu V, Taylor AM, Schievano S. Patient-specific computational models to support interventional procedures: a case study of complex aortic re-coarctation. EuroIntervention. 2015 Oct;11(6):669-72. doi: 10.4244/EIJY15M09_03.
2. Bosi GM, Capelli C, Khambadkone S, Taylor AM, Schievano S. Patient-specific finite element models to support clinical decisions: A lesson learnt from a case study of percutaneous pulmonary valve implantation. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv. 2015 Nov 15;86(6):1120-30. doi: 10.1002/ccd.25944
3. Biglino G, Capelli C, Wray J, Schievano S, Leaver LK, Khambadkone S, Giardini A, Derrick G, Jones A, Taylor AM. 3D-manufactured patient-specific models of congenital heart defects for communication in clinical practice: feasibility and acceptability.
BMJ Open. 2015 Apr 30;5(4):e007165. doi: 10.1136/bmjopen-2014-007165.
4. Biglino G, Capelli C, Bruse J, Bosi GM, Taylor AM, Schievano S. Computational modelling for congenital heart disease: how far are we from clinical translation? Heart. 2016 Oct 25. pii: heartjnl-2016-310423. doi: 10.1136/heartjnl-2016-310423. [Epub ahead of print] Review.
5. Capelli C, Corsini C, Biscarini D, Ruffini F, Migliavacca F, Kocher A, Laufer G, Taylor AM, Schievano S, Andreas M, Burriesci G, Rath C. Pledget-Armed Sutures Affect the Haemodynamic Performance of Biologic Aortic Valve Substitutes: A Preliminary Experimental and Computational Study. Cardiovasc Eng Technol. 2016 Nov 21. [Epub ahead of print]
Contact details: firstname.lastname@example.org