This core equipment facility was established in 2002 using funds awarded
to a group of leading academics by the Joint Infrastructure Fund (JIF).
In 2004 access to the facility was extended to incorporate the rest of
UCL and the facility has established a strong and continuously expanding
The facility offers general molecular biological equipment in addition to a comprehensive range of genotyping and other molecular biology services tailored to meet individual requirements.
Contact Stuart Martin
Role Core Equipment Facility Manager
Phone: 020 7679 0040 Internal: x30040
Room 206, 2nd Floor Laboratory of Cellular and Molecular Neuroscience, Andrew Huxley Building
- BiTeK Visible 96 Well Plate Reader
- Beckman DU 800 scanning UV/Visible Spectrophotometer
- Bright Cryostat
- Invasive (ear punch + tails) and non-invasive (faecal pellet) sample processing
- Gel based PCR assays
- Post PCR restriction digestion of SNP's / mutations (RFLP)
- Preparation of targets for direct sequencing (SNP's / mutations)
- Quantification of gene copy number using TaqMan technology (non-targeted transgenes)
- Custom TaqMan probe design for copy number assays
Techniques and Capabilities
- Quantitative PCR (SYBR Green I & TaqMan)
- DNA, RNA & protein quantification
- PCR assay design and optimization
- qPCR Custom TaqMan primer design (ABI Primer Express)
- Competitive PCR (SNP/mutations)
- Touchdown PCR
- Gradient PCR
Prices from £2.50 per sample (depending on particular assay requirements). Full prices are available upon request.
Prices available upon request.
Spectrophotometer / Visible Plate Reader / Bright Cryostat
Proportion of the running cost based on the level of use (consumables + maintenance contract).
Full training and technical assistance will be provided for all facility users.