The aim of the UCL/Birkbeck ISMB Protein Crystallography and Biophysics Centre is to offer instrumentation and expertise for protein crystallography and biophysics to scientists based in London or beyond.
A variety of equipment is available for sample characterisation and optimisation, crystallisation, and crystal monitoring as well as for equilibrium and kinetic studies of proteins, nucleic acids, small molecules and their interactions. The Centre is also organising BAG proposals for accessing synchrotron radiation experiments (mainly Protein Crystallography and SAXS but not only).
Please refer to our website for detailed information on the techniques and on the running of the Centre and contact us if you have any queries.
Facility Coordinator: Dr Nikos Pinotsis
Tel +44 (0)20 3926 3507
Department of Biological Sciences, Birkbeck, Malet St, WC1E 7HX
List of Equipment
- Crystallisation Rooms at 20oC and 4oC equipped with imaging (VIS/UV) hotels for monitoring crystal growth
- Liquid handler for crystal hit optimisation (Formulator)
- Liquid handler (Multiprobe II, Perkin Elmer)
- Mosquito LCP for crystallisation set-up
- X-ray equipment for protein crystallography (Rigaku Micromax-007 HF with Saturn 944 CCD detector)
- Microscopes for crystal acquisition (including a Leica M165)
- Size exclusion chromatography coupled with multi-angle lights scattering (SEC-MALS, Agilent 1100, Wyatt Dawn8+, T-rEX)
- Dynamic light scattering (pUNk, UNchained)
- UV/Vis spectroscopy (Cary-3)
- Fluorescence spectroscopy (Fluorimax-3, Horiba)
- CD spectroscopy (Jasco J-720)
- Isothermal titration calorimetry (VP-ITC, Microcal)
- Differential scanning calorimetry (VP-DSC, Microcal)
- Thermofluor assay (MyIQ, Biorad)
- Biolayer interferometry (ForteBio BLItz)
- Analytical ultracentrifugation (Beckman XL-I)
- Stopped-flow fluorescence and absorbance techniques (HiTech Scientific)
- Quench-flow techniques (Kintek)
- Fluorescence and phosphor imaging (Fujifilm 3000)
Techniques and Capabilities
Our equipment provides extensive structural biology solutions, biophysical characterisation of macromolecules and their interactions. Training, supervision, data analysis, data interpretation or a full service are available.
Please inquire with the centre coordinator for detailed price list including quotes to include in your grant application.
Dedicated staff are available during all stages of work for training, support, detailed supervision or general discussion as well as preparation of grant applications and publications of relevant parts.