Candidates for PhD studentships and projects are strongly encouraged to identify their area(s) of interest among the various BioP research activities, and contact the respective academic(s) to enquire about the availability of PhD research projects. Examples of PhD projects in the BioP group can be found at PhD Projects.
Available PhD projects
- PhD Studentship in Developing a genetically-encoded fluorescent-biosensor for the real-time monitoring of the cellular dynamic level of a key metabolic integrator, coenzyme A (Prof Ivan Gout)
- PhD Studenship in Nanoscale imaging of membrane pore formation in bacterial attack and immune defence
(Prof Bart Hoogenboom)
Candidates should have at least a UK upper second class MSci or Master’s degree (or equivalent) in physics, biophysics or a related subject. To apply for PhD studentships in the BioP group, it is recommended to follow the procedure outlined at www.ucl.ac.uk/physics-astronomy/study/phd, include mention of the Biological Physics research group, and notify the potential PhD supervisor of the application.
- PhD Projects:
The following project titles give you examples of PhD projects that are possible in the BioP group. Please follow the links for more detailed project descriptions. For PhD studentships related to these and other projects.
Supervisor: Bart Hoogenboom:
Supervisor: Ian Robinson:
Supervisor: Nguyen T.K. Thanh:
In general, students who are interested in research projects in BioP are also encouraged to also explore the various other possibilities for related PhD studentships at UCL. The following links will lead you towards PhD projects and programmes that cover the biological physics remit.
- PhD opportunities at the Department of Physics and Astronomy
- PhD opportunities at the London Centre for Nanotechnology
- CoMPLEX doctoral training centre
- Wellcome Trust PhD interdisciplinary programme
- BBSRC London Interdisciplinary Biosciences PhD consortium
- UCL-Birkbeck MRC Doctoral Training Programme
- Advanced Characterisation of Materials
- Medical MBPhD programme