Candidates for PhD studentships and projects are strongly encouraged to identify their area(s) of interest among the various BioP research activities, and contact the respective academic(s) to enquire about the availability of PhD research projects. Examples of previous PhD projects in the BioP group can be found on the Past PhD Theses page.
Available PhD projects
- Prof. Nguyen T. K. Thanh - Doped magnetic nanomaterials: synthesis, characterisation and biological studying their thermal therapeutic potentials for cancer treatment. Deadline: 31 Jan 2022.
- Prof. Philip Jones - Characterisation of interfacial biological materials: from membranes to phase separated systems. Deadline: 14 Feb 2022.
Candidates should have at least a UK upper second class MSci or Master’s degree (or equivalent) in physics, biophysics or a related subject. To apply for PhD studentships in the BioP group, it is recommended to follow the procedure outlined at www.ucl.ac.uk/physics-astronomy/study/phd, include mention of the Biological Physics research group, and notify the potential PhD supervisor of the application.
In general, students who are interested in research projects in BioP are also encouraged to also explore the various other possibilities for related PhD studentships at UCL. The following links will lead you towards PhD projects and programmes that cover the biological physics remit.
- PhD opportunities at the Department of Physics and Astronomy
- PhD opportunities at the London Centre for Nanotechnology
- CoMPLEX doctoral training centre
- BBSRC London Interdisciplinary Biosciences PhD consortium
- HDR UK-Turing Wellcome PhD Programme in Health Data Science
- Advanced Characterisation of Materials
- Medical MBPhD programme
- Welcome Trust Optical Biology PhD programme
- Francis Crick PhD programme