Florian Flachenecker works as a Policy Officer in the Recovery and Resilience Task Force of the Secretariat-General of the European Commission on energy and environmental issues as well as Spain. Florian is also an Honorary Lecturer at University College London (UCL) Institute for Sustainable Resources. Previously, he was an Economist at the Joint Research Centre (JRC) of the European Commission, working at the intersection between research and policy, in particular on environmental innovations, the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and firm growth. Florian also worked as an Economist at the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) on environmental data and policy. He was a Visiting Fellow at the European Political Strategy Centre (EPSC) of the European Commission and a Consultant at the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD). Florian obtained a PhD in Economics from UCL for empirically investigating the effects of resource efficiency on competitiveness and climate change mitigation in the EU. Florian also holds a MA in Economics from the College of Europe, and a BSc in Economics from the University of Mannheim.
- Flachenecker, Florian and Rentschler, Jun Erik (contributing editors) (2018). Investing in Resource Efficiency: The Economics and Politics of Financing the Resource Transition. Featuring a preface by Ángel Gurría, Secretary General OECD, and contributions by University College London, European Commission, European Investment Bank, and European Bank for Reconstruction and Development. Springer International Publishing. ISBN 978-3-319-78867-8. Heidelberg, Germany.
- Bleischwitz, Raimund and Flachenecker, Florian (2017). Sustainable Resources: Managing Markets, Increasing Efficiency and Establishing Partnerships; in: von Hauff, Michael and Kuhnke, Claudia (eds). Sustainable Development Policy: A European Perspective. Routledge. Oxford, UK.
- Flachenecker, Florian and Söderberg, Magnus (under review). Re-Examining the Relationship between Economic Development and Environmental Pressures.
- Flachenecker, Florian and Kornejew, Martin (2019). The Causal Impact of Material Productivity on Microeconomic Competitiveness and Environmental Performance in the European Union. Environmental Economics and Policy Studies 21:1. 87-122.
- Rentschler, Jun Erik; Flachenecker, Florian and Kornejew, Martin (2019). Assessing Carbon Emission Savings from Corporate Resource Efficiency Investments: an Estimation Indicator in Theory and Practice. Environment, Development and Sustainability 22. 835–861
- Flachenecker, Florian (2018). The Causal Impact of Material Productivity on Macroeconomic Competitiveness in the European Union. Environmental Economics and Policy Studies 20:1. 17-46.
- Rentschler, Jun Erik; Bleischwitz, Raimund and Flachenecker, Florian (2018). On Imperfect Competition and Market Distortions: The causes of Corporate Under-Investment in Energy and Resource Efficiency. International Economics and Economic Policy 15:1. 159-183.
- Agnolucci, Paolo; Flachenecker, Florian and Söderberg, Magnus (2017). The Causal Impact of Economic Growth on Material Use in Europe. Journal of Environmental Economics and Policy 6:4. 415-432.
- Flachenecker, Florian; Bleischwitz, Raimund and Rentschler, Jun Erik (2017). Investments in Material Efficiency: the Introduction and Application of a Comprehensive Cost-Benefit Framework. Journal of Environmental Economics and Policy 6:2. 107-120.
- Flachenecker, Florian; Kornejew, Martin and Janiri Mario (2021). The Distribution of EU Firm Growth 2005-2014. JRC Technical Report. EUR 30600 EN. Publications Office of the European Union, Luxembourg. ISBN 978-92-76-30425-8. doi:10.2760/812229. JRC123700. Brussels, Belgium.
- Flachenecker, Florian; Gavigan, James; Goenaga, Xabier; Pasi, Giulio; Preziosi, Nadir; Stamenov, Blagoy and Testa, Giuseppina (2020). High Growth Enterprises – Demographics, Financing and Policy Measures. JRC Technical Report. EUR 30077 EN. Publications Office of the European Union. Luxembourg. ISBN 978-92-76-10615-9. doi:10.2760/34219. JRC119788. Brussels, Belgium.
- Pellens, Maikel; Rammer, Christian and Flachenecker, Florian (2020). Innovation Country Report 2019: High Growth Enterprises, Innovation and Productivity Challenges Germany. JRC. Brussels, Belgium.
- Flachenecker, Florian and Rentschler, Jun Erik (2019). From Barriers to Opportunities: Enabling Investments in Resource Efficiency for Sustainable Development. Public Sector Economics – Special Issue on the Economics and Governance for Sustainability 43:4. 345-373.
- Flachenecker, Florian; Guidetti, Emmanuelle and Pionnier, Pierre-Alain (2018). Towards global SEEA Air Emission Accounts: Description and evaluation of the OECD methodology to estimate SEEA Air Emission Accounts for CO2, CH4 and N2O in Annex-I countries to the UNFCCC. OECD Statistics Working Papers. OECD Publishing, Paris, France.
- Flachenecker, Florian and Rentschler, Jun Erik (2015). Investments in Resource Efficiency – Costs and Benefits, Investment Barriers and Intervention Measures. A Report prepared for the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD). London: University College London, UK. [policy briefing]
- Flachenecker, Florian (2015). Sustainability, Resource Efficiency and Competitiveness – an Assessment of Resource Efficiency Policies in the European Union. Bruges European Economic Research Paper. College of Europe. Bruges, Belgium.
- Flachenecker, Florian (2012). The Ability to Achieve Political Reforms in the Eurozone. Deutsche Bank Research Briefing European Integration. Deutsche Bank AG. Frankfurt am Main, Germany.
- Böttcher, Barbara and Flachenecker, Florian (2012). Government Efficiency and the Public Debt Ratio. Deutsche Bank Articles on Economic Policy. Deutsche Bank AG. Frankfurt am Main, Germany.
- Flachenecker, Florian (2016) Crossing the Divide – Long Held Up Leader in Resource Efficiency, the European Union is a Work in Progress. Commentary in Corporate Waste Solutions, Issue 2. Melbourne, Australia.