The Bartlett School of Planning


Visiting and exchange

Through the ERASMUS Exchange Programme we have exchange agreements with the following universities across Europe.

ngeneering students outdoor the modern architecture buildings of the Politecnico University, at Bovisa district, in Milan

Through the ERASMUS Exchange Programme we have exchange agreements with the following universities across Europe:

  • University of Amsterdam
  • Czech Technical University (CVUT), Prague
  • KU Leuven (KUL)
  • Politecnico di Milano
  • Institut d'Etudes Politiques de Paris (Sciences-Po)
  • KTH Stockholm

(Please note that UCL does not participate in the ‘free mover’ scheme.)

We also have exchange agreements with non-EU universities:

  • Hong Kong University
  • University of Melbourne
  • University of New South Wales, Sydney
  • University of Pennsylvania
  • Hunter College, City University New York
  • Yale-NUS (National University of Singapore)

These exchange agreements are subject to review and the destinations/opportunities on offer may change from year to year.

We offer all students on our BSc programmes the option to apply for Study Abroad for one term in their second year. Postgraduate students taking our two-year MPlan in City Planning also have the opportunity to study abroad for a term in their second year. We have a quota of students we can send to each of our partner universities. The allocation of places is determined via open competition and assessment of students' academic merit in their first year of study at BSP.

Browse the sections below for student-specific information.

UCL students going abroad

ERASMUS Exchange Programme

This EU scheme allows you to study abroad at one of our partner universities in Europe. The work you do abroad is counted towards your UCL undergraduate or postgraduate degree.

Postgraduates writing dissertations can use the scheme to help with their research without necessarily following any courses at their host university. The Bartlett School of Planning is keen to encourage more of its students to use this scheme.

What can you do there?

1. Find the modules that you’d like to take while you are away and match them to the modules within UCL from the same period.

2. Secure the agreement of your course/year tutor or supervisor.

3. If you are aiming for RTPI or other professional recognition on a professionally recognised Bartlett course, you must:

  • identify what compulsory courses you’ll miss while you are abroad
  • find out whether any of the work you’ll do while you are away could be treated as equivalent to a compulsory course unit (or part of a course unit) that you would be missing here
  • get agreement well in advance, or you could jeopardise your RTPI or other professional standing

4. Bartlett School of Planning students should get the arrangements confirmed in writing with the School's International Student Exchanges Co-ordinator, Dan Durrant.

When can I go?

UCL alerts all students about study abroad opportunities at the start of their studies. A timetable will be set out, together with procedures and requirements.

For undergraduate students, visits are not permitted in the first year of study but are encouraged in the second year. Start planning as early as you can: you may need language preparation and the preparation may take a while.

All applications are still subject to review and assessment on academic ability. If successful, you should get your plans approved in the spring or early summer of the session before you want to go away.

Postgraduate students on 1-year MSc or Diploma courses will be informed of possibilities and deadlines at the start of programmes.

Visits can be for periods of 3 months (September to December) to 6 months (January to June) for undergraduates. Postgraduate students may be able to go in the spring and/or summer, depending on partner institution.

How will this affect my marks?

In each case, we’ll specify whether your work will be marked abroad or brought back and marked in London. Any coursework you submit to the foreign university must also be submitted to the Bartlett.

How is the visit financed?

For EU partner institutions, the UCL International Office will issue your ERASMUS grant. This is normally in addition to any grants you may already have.

The UCL International Office (international@ucl.ac.uk) can advise you of the amount you’ll get to help with travel and living costs. They can also advise you whether you are eligible if you are not a citizen of an EU country.

While you are away you (or your sponsor) continue to pay your UCL fees. You pay no fees at the host university.

If you are supported by a grant or scholarship, this will normally continue to be payable to you. But do check this: you may have to notify your local education authority or other sponsor, and make arrangements for the grant payments to reach your bank while you are away.

For non-EU partner institutions, there is no UCL financial support available.

Are there any language issues?

To study abroad you need a good grasp of the language. Amsterdam and some Scandinavian universities teach a few basic courses in English, but it’s best if you can at least conduct conversations in the local language.

Prepare by taking language courses, if necessary – either UCL course units in the Centre for Languages & International Education or evening courses there or elsewhere.

Make contact with our current ERASMUS guests from your destination country and see if they will exchange tuition with you.

The ERASMUS fund may be able to help with the cost of language preparation before you travel, but not while you are away..

What about accommodation?

Some universities provide housing, others give advice on finding housing in the open market and others leave this to students to organise.

You need to make contact well in advance in every case. Ask the Erasmus contact in your desired host university. The Planning Office has up-to-date details of contacts.

Should I maintain contact whilst I'm away?

Yes, make sure you establish good email or other contact arrangements with the International Student Exchanges Co-ordinator, Dan Durrant, and your year tutor. It’s particularly important that you make contact if your normal arrangements fail, or in an emergency +44 (0)20 3108 9569 or 9553.


Students from abroad

Students from partner universities should contact the International Student Exchanges Co-ordinator, Dan Durrant, as early as possible when making their plans.

Prospective students will need to make a formal application via UCL's International Office.

A complete list of modules available in the Bartlett School of Planning is listed on our website.

Students from institutions that are not part of our agreed list of partner institutions (see Overview) are not normally permitted to study at the Bartlett School of Planning.

Students studying architecture and construction in other universities should be aware that formal links in place are with the Bartlett School of Planning, and not with Bartlett School of Architecture or Bartlett School of Construction and Project Management.

There are no opportunities for affiliate students to take modules in the Bartlett School of Architecture or the Bartlett School of Construction and Project Management, but there may be scope to take modules in other UCL faculties.