Prof Claire Colomb
Professor of Urban Studies and Planning
The Bartlett School of Planning
Faculty of the Built Environment
- Joined UCL
- 1st Sep 2001
My research interests span across the following themes:
Comparative urban & regional planning and European public policies:
- The impact of the European Union on spatial planning and territorial development policies / the Europeanisation of public policies
- European cross-border and transnational cooperation and policy learning between local or regional governments
- Devolution, territorial politics and spatial planning in the UK and Europe
- Comparative spatial planning systems and cultures and the changing politics of planning
The contentious politics of urban development: urban governance, public policies and social mobilisations:
- The contested politics of urban entrepreneurialism, place marketing and urban regeneration
- The politics of culture and memory in urban space
- The social equity impacts of urban policies / planning and the politics of difference
- Urban social movements, citizens’ activism and land or urban development conflicts
- The implications of platform capitalism and ‘platform real estate’ for cities and urban governance
- Urban social movements, ‘new municipalism’ and progressive city governments
- International comparison in urban studies / global comparative urbanism
I have been teaching at the Bartlett School of Planning at undergraduate and postgraduate levels since 2001 in the fields of urban sociology, urban politics, UK and international comparative planning.
I am a regular guest lecturer at various European universities in France, Germany, Spain and Belgium.
- University College London
- Doctorate, Doctor of Philosophy | 2008
- University College London
- Other higher degree, Master of Philosophy | 2000
- Institut d'etudes politiques (IEP), Paris
- First Degree, Bachelor of Arts (Honours) | 1998
I have a first degree in Social and Political Sciences from the Institut d'Etudes Politiques de Paris (Sciences-Po) and a MPhil/PhD in Town Planning from University College London, the Bartlett School of Planning. I am currently studying part-time at SOAS for an MSc in Politics of Asia (South Asia), to expand my research outside Europe.
Prior to becoming a full-time Lecturer at UCL in January 2005, I worked for three years as Project Developer for the European Union Programme INTERREG IIIB North-West Europe, which funds transnational co-operation projects across 8 European countries.
Over the past 20 years I have lived, worked and researched in France, the UK, Germany and Spain (Catalonia), and speak English, French, German, Spanish and Catalan.
I am a Chartered Member of the RTPI and Fellow of the Academy of Social Sciences.