Dr Fangzhu Zhang
The Bartlett School of Planning
Faculty of the Built Environment
- Joined UCL
- 1st Sep 2011
Her main research interests focus on innovation and governance; urban village redevelopment and migrant integration in China; and eco-innovation and eco-city development in China. She has been involved in several research projects funded by the EU innovation programme (on Finance access); ESRC/DFID (on Chinese urban villages); the British Academy (China’s innovation and governance; Chinese informal settlements; China’s eco-city planning); RTPI (on China planning); the Leverhulme Trust (Urban China Research International Network) and EPSRC (global engagement on UK-China sustainable cities). She has published articles widely in leading international journals. She is co-editor for the special issue “Planning the Chinese City” (Town Planning Review, 2008) and “New Direction for Urban China Studies” (Urban Studies, 2020) and also for the book “Rural migrants in urban China” (Routledge, 2013). Currently, she is carrying out two research projects: urban development financialisation (funded by ESRC-NSFC) and China’s Urban Governance Model (funded by European Commission, 2020-2025).
- M.Sc. module (BPLN0040): Critical debate in International Planning.
- M.Sc. Module (BPLN0009): Urban Planning in China: Frameworks, Practices and Case Studies,
- BSc. (Year 1) module: Making Cities (with colleagues)
- M.Sc. module: Pillar of Planning: Environmental Urban Management (2011-2018)
- M.Sc. module: Sustainable Urban Development: Key themes (with colleagues) (2011-2019)
- BSc. (Year 2) module: Plan Making (with colleagues) (2011-2018)
- Institute of Education
- Other Postgraduate qualification (including professional), ATQ01 - Successfully completed an institutional provision in teaching in the HE sector | 2013
Dr Fangzhu Zhang is a Associate Professor in China Planning. She worked at School of City Planning, Cardiff University (2006-2011) and University of Southampton (2000-2002) before joining in UCL. She received her Ph.D. degree in University of Southampton, UK in 2007. She is joint-coordinator for China Planning Research Group in Bartlett School of Planning, UCL and has successfully organised three international conferences on China’s Urban Transition and City Planning and three training workshops on city planning and governance for Chinese planners in the UK. She has successfully supervised seven PhD students and is currently supervising seven PhD research projects on urban china planning.