Dr Juliana Martins
Associate Professor (Teaching)
The Bartlett School of Planning
Faculty of the Built Environment
- Joined UCL
- 1st Oct 2009
My research interests span across the following themes:
Urban creative clusters: relationship between economic activities and the spatial configuration of the city, and the use and production of space and place;
Spatiality of work: contemporary patterns of work and how these are mediated by the built environment at different scales;
Urban design: inter-disciplinary and cross-scale approaches (interface with the fields of human and economic geography, planning, and urban sociology); public space.
My PhD research examines the relationship between space and digital production in Shoreditch, East London (2009-2014). Drawing together approaches from urban design and economic and human geography, it examines and conceptualizes how space is used in digital work practices and which spatial conditions mediate, at multiple scales, the operation of digital economy firms in inner-city locations. The study develops a new approach in this field of enquiry by investigating these relationships through the spatiality of (digital) work.
I have been teaching at the Bartlett School of Planning since 2010 in the field of urban design and planning. I lead or contribute to the following modules:
- BENVGTC2 Urban Design: Layout, Density and Typology (coordinator)
- BENVGID3 Urban Design Research Project (coordinator)
- BENVGPD2 Critical Debates in Urban Design and City Planning (contributor)
- BENVGPLG International Planning Project (contributor)
- ENVS1018 Introducing Urban Design: Design Skills (contributor up to 2016/17)
- ENVS3016: Urban Design: Space and Place (coordinator)
Currently, I am acting Director of Education for the School of Planning.
I have also been a visiting lecturer at the Faculty of Science and Technology, New University of Lisbon (2005/2006), invited guest speaker at the Department of Architecture and Urbanism, University Institute of Lisbon (ISCTE-IUL), and guest crit at the Architectural Association School of Architecture, London, and the Faculty of Architecture (FAUTL), Lisbon.
- University College London
- Doctorate, Doctor of Philosophy | 2016
- Architectural Association School of Architecture
- Other higher degree, Master of Arts | 2005
- Universidade Tecnica de Lisboa
- Other qualifications at first-degree level (including professional), Licenciatura | 2001
I am a Lecturer (Teaching) in Urban Design at the Bartlett School of Planning, University College London (UCL). I have a Degree in Architecture from the Faculty of Architecture of the Technical University of Lisbon, a Master of Arts in Housing and Urbanism from the Architectural Association School of Architecture, London, and a PhD in Planning Studies from the University College London, Bartlett School of Planning.
to joining UCL, I worked as an architect, urban designer and policy adviser,
both in the public and private sectors. For five years, I worked in the design
of buildings and large scale urban projects in offices based in London and
Lisbon, and contributed to the development of several masterplans.