Vacancy: Research Assistant/Research Fellow (Computational Social Scientist)
9 March 2023
CASA is inviting applications for this new role working with Dr Max Nathan and Dr Jon Reades
We are seeking a pre-doc / postdoc computational social scientist to work with us on a multi-year ESRC-funded grant, alongside colleagues from LSE, the University of Birmingham, the University of Toronto and the University of Insubria. The project is exploring the economic effects of diverse teams, workplaces and cities on UK entrepreneurship, innovation and productivity. The post is available immediately and is funded until 30/06/2025 in the first instance.
Closing Date: 14 April 2023
You'll need a Masters's degree (Research Assistant) or PhD (Research Fellow) in economics, economic geography, sociology, computer science or similar field by post start date.
Other essential criteria include:
- demonstrated interest in the project topics and research questions;
- strong and creative analytical skills; - proven experience in handling very large, fine-grained datasets relating to individuals and firms (this may include include web/text elements);
- advanced knowledge of relevant quantitative methods using Python, R or Stata;
- the ability to work independently, without close supervision;
- excellent organisational and communication skills.
At post-doc level you should also have:
- experience of using open source software tools such as Git/GitHub to a high standard;
- a track record of executing and writing up independent research;
- the ability to author / co-author papers of refereed journal quality.
We are hiring at either post-doc or pre-doc level. At pre-doc level, the position would suit someone who is considering applying to a quantitative PhD in economics, economic geography, sociology or similar, as well as people wanting hands-on research experience before embarking on a research career.
If you would like to discuss the position informally, please email Dr Max Nathan <email@example.com>