Taught by architects and experts in artificial intelligence, this MSc equips students with the skills to create generative and responsive forms, through exposure to real programming environments.
Video: MRes/MSc AC final show 2016
About the course
On this course you will:
- learn computational design skills for application at the highest levels of architecture, design, research and industry
- conduct scientific research that could change the way the built environment is designed, constructed and used
- work alongside PhD and post-doctoral researchers in laboratories such as the Space Syntax Lab, known across the UK for its groundbreaking research over four decades
- Course Director: Manuel Jiménez García
- Sean Hanna, tutor: Computational Analysis, Computational Synthesis, Design as Knowledge-Based Process
- Ava Fatah, tutor: Body as Interface, City as Interface
- Christopher Leung, tutor: Digital Studio, Digital Ecologies
- Sam Griffiths, module tutor: Design as Knowledge-Based Process
- Martin Zaltz-Austwick, module tutor: Introduction to Programming for Architecture and Design
- Martha Tsigkari, module tutor: Morphogenetic Programming
Students projects presented at conferences and journal papers
- Szemerey, D., Hanna, S. & Fatah gen Schieck, A. (2017), Opportunities for Artificial Neural Network Generated VGA: Training an Artificial Neural Network to recognize the underlying structures of space. 11th International Space Syntax Symposium, Lisbon, Portugal.
- Galicia, F., Szemerey, D. (2016) EAVE - A project on local networking. In Responsive Cities: Urbanism in the experience age - Barcelona, September 2016 (project presentation)
- Buyuklieva , B. & Kosicki, M. (2015) BIM|MAR: Assembling physical objects by virtual information. th ACM International Symposium on Pervasive Displays (PerDis '15), Germany: ACM 978-1-4503-3608-6/15/06 (video)
- Miccoli, G., Bakogianni, A., & Fatah gen. Schieck, A. (2015). Breathing Display: Exploring the Effects of a Responsive Installation on People’s Behaviour in Public Space. 4th ACM International Symposium on Pervasive Displays (PerDis '15), Germany: ACM 978-1-4503-3608-6/15/06 (video)
- Andrade, R. & Fatah gen. Schieck, A. (2015) Way finding to support urban exploration: integrating Space Syntax Analysis with social media data for navigation system design. In Proc. Space Syntax Symposium '15, London, UK.
- Black, C., Mamoura, M. & Fatah gen. Schieck, A. (2015) Digital Manifestations. In Proc. Space Syntax Symposium '15, London, UK.
- Karagkouni, C., Fatah gen. Schieck, A., Tsigkari, M & Chronis, A. (2014) Performance-driven facades: Analysis of natural cross-ventilation in an indoor environment with Fast Fluid Dynamics and apertures optimization based on a genetic algorithm. In SIMULATION: Transactions of The Society for Modeling and Simulation International, Vol. 90, Issue 8.
- Sher, E., Chronis, A. & Glynn, R. (2014) Adaptive behavior of structural systems in unpredictable changing environments by using self-learning algorithms: A case study. In SIMULATION: Transactions of The Society for Modeling and Simulation International, Vol. 90, Issue 8.
- Athanailidi, P., Fatah gen. Schieck, A., Tenu, V. & Chronis, A. (2014) Tensegrity Systems Acting as Windbreaks: Form Finding and Fast Fluid Dynamics Analysis to Address Wind Funnel Effect. In Proc. SimAUD '14, San Diego, USA.
- Blezinger, D., Fatah gen. Schieck, A., & Hölscher, C. (2013) Unifying conceptual and spatial relationships between objects in HCI. In LNCS/LNAI/CCIS series. Springer.
- Karagkouni, C., Fatah gen. Schieck, A., Tsigkari, M., & Chronis, A. (2013) Façade apertures optimization: Integrating cross-ventilation performance analysis in fluid dynamics simulation. In Proc. SimAUD, San Diego. (Best paper award).
- Themistocleous, T. & Chronis, A. (2013) Self-Learning Algorithm as a Tool to Perform Adaptive Behaviour in Unpredictable Changing Environments - A Case Study. In Proc. SimAUD '13, Boston, USA.
- Sher, E., Chronis, A. & Glynn, R. (2013) Choreographic Architecture: Inscribing instructions in an auxetic based material system. In Proc. SimAUD '13, Boston, USA.
- Traunmueller, M., Gkougkoustamos, S. & Tang, Y. 2013) Modelling mediated Urban Space through geo located social Microblogging. In Proc. of Mediacity 4: Mediacities, International Conference, University at Buffalo, NY.
- Traunmueller, M. & Fatah gen. Schieck, A., (2013) Following the voice of the crowd: Exploring opportunities for using global voting data to enrich local urban context. In Proc. CAAD Futures '13, Springer.
- Traunmueller, M., Fatah gen. Schieck, A., Schöning, J., & Brumby, D. (2013) The path is the reward: considering social networks to contribute to the pleasure of urban strolling. In Proc. CHI 2013, ACM.
- Moutinho, A., & Fatah gen. Schieck, A. (2012) Exploring a prototyping platform as a generator of performative interactions in a museum context.In Workshop Designing Performative Interactions in Public Spaces DIS 2012, Newcastle, UK.
- Behrens, M. M. (2011) Swipe ‘I like’: location based digital narrative through embedding the ‘Like’ button in the real world. Presented at: 5th International Conference on Communities & Technologies – In workshop Digital Cities 7. Brisbaine, Australia.
- Chronis, A.; Turner, A. & Tsigkari, M. (2011) Generative fluid dynamics: integration of fast fluid dynamics and genetic algorithms for wind loading optimization of a free form surface. In Proc. SimAUD '11, Boston, USA. (Outstanding Paper Award).
- Fan, S. & Fatah gen. Schieck, A. (2011) Exploring Embodied Interactions in Urban Space through Connectivity between ShenZhen (China) and London.In proceeding Digital Resources in the Humanities and Arts’11. Ningbo. China.
- Chronis, A., Jagannath, P., Siskou, Vasiliki, A. & Jones, J. (2011) Sensing digital co-presence and digital identity: Visualizing the Bluetooth landscape of the City of Bath. In Proc. 29th eCAADe Conference Proceedings / ISBN 978-9-4912070-1-3], University of Ljubljana, Faculty of Architecture (Slovenia) 21-24 September 2011, pp.87-92
- Kataras, A., Adamantidis, E. & Alfakara, A. (2010) Sound as Interface. In Proc. Media City, Weimar, Germany.
- Sotiriou E., Krechel, M., Kidao, M. & Goodship, P. (2010) Sensing Digital Co-Presence and Digital Identity. In Proc. Media City, Weimar, Germany.
- Tasos Kanellos and Sean Hanna (2008) Topological self-organisation: using a particle-spring system to generate structural space-filling lattices. In: 26th eCAADe Conference.
- Anna Laskari, Sean Hanna and Christian Derix (2008) Urban identity through quantifiable spatial attributes. In: 3rd International Conference on Design, Computing & Cognition.
- Carolina Briones, Ava Fatah gen. Schieck and Chiron Mottram (2007) A socializing interactive installation for the ubran environment. In: IADIS Applied Computing International Conference.
- Eva Friedrich, Sean Hanna and Christian Derix (2007) Emergent form from structural optimisation of the Voronoi polyhedra structure. In: 10th International Generative Art Conference.
- Elena Prosalidou and Sean Hanna (2007) A parametric representation of ruled surfaces. In: 12th International CAAD Futures Conference. Best paper award
Teaching and learning
- Ava Fatah gen. Schieck (2016) Living Architecture: Currencies between Architectural Pedagogy and Time-based Media Performance. In: Weber, Patrick, (ed.) aae2016: Research Based Education 2016 [Conference proceedings, Volume 2]. (pp. pp. 503-514). Bartlett School of Architecture, University College London: London, UK.
- Ava Fatah gen. Schieck (2012) Embodied, mediated and performative: Exploring the architectural education in the digital age. In Voyatzaki, M., Spiridonidis, C.: Rethinking the human in technology-driven architecture. Transactions on Architectural Education No 55. Greece.
- Ava Fatah gen. Schieck (2010) Using personalised web logs for project based learning. Teaching & Learning Conference and Exhibition (TILT ’10). UCL, UK.
- Ava Fatah gen. Schieck (2008) Exploring architectural education in the digital age: learning, reflection and flexion. In: 26th eCAADe Conference.
- Ava Fatah gen. Schieck (2008) Learning, reflection and flexion: exploring architectural education in the digital age. Teaching & Learning Conference and Exhibition (TILT ’08). UCL, UK.
- Sean Hanna and Alasdair Turner (2006) Teaching parametric design in code and construction. In: Sigradi 2006.
Who should apply?
We’re looking for graduate and professional designers who wish to develop computational techniques in architecture and gain the ability to use programming as easily as any other form of communication.
For core course information, including how to apply, visit our programme overview page
- About The Bartlett School of Architecture
- one of the most influential, exciting and innovative architecture schools in the world
- located within the UK’s largest multidisciplinary faculty of the built environment, in one of the world’s top universities
- the UK’s highest-rated department for architectural research (REF 2008, 2014), and ranked the best British school of architecture by AJ100 for 13 consecutive years
- based in a new building at 22 Gordon Street in central London, close to world-leading architectural, engineering and creative practices, many of them partners. From 2017/18 we will also have new high-volume facilities for experimentation, making, and performance at Here East in Hackney Wick, East London
- host to students from over 40 nations, many of them among the most sought-after in the world for their drive, creativity, and skills
- the school where students have won a total of 6 Bronze, 3 Dissertation, and 10 Silver RIBA Presidents medals
Image: still from 3D Game of Life by Mohamed Dawod | Architectural Computation 2016architecture computation