This 15-month Masters course provides training in the principles and skills of situated practice in relation to conceptual spatial theories in art, architecture, performativity, urbanism and writing.
About the course
The key themes of this course are site-writing, critical spatial practice, urban intervention and mediated environments.
On this course you will:
- develop a strong understanding of appropriate research methodologies in art and design practice-led research, specifically relating to approaches to criticality, performativity and textuality
- make ‘situated practice’ projects that are site-related – from physical installations to digital interventions and site-writings
- deliver high-quality practice-led research to enable you to carry out future doctoral research in the field of situated practice
This pioneering course examines the fertile territories where the discipline of architecture cross-pollinates with the other creative arts. Students will make work that is situated physically and engages with contemporary social, cultural and political conditions.
Outcomes will combine media – comprising site-specific and performative installations, interventions, designs and events – that engage with their contexts and particular publics. Graduates from MA Situated Practice will be highly equipped to pioneer new forms of hybrid practice between art and architecture in domains of urban design, spatial design, event design, critical and theoretical writing, performance, and craft.
Affiliated centres and institutions
Our staff are very closely linked to several other groups both within The Bartlett and across UCL, in particular:
- The Slade School of Fine Art
- UCL Urban Laboratory
Who should apply?
Candidates with interest in curatorship, public engagement, event design, creative regeneration, participation design and activism, site-writing, filmmaking, information design and new media, publishing, civic media, and the management of associated institutes.
- To find out more about this programme, please send your name, address, details of your first degree and/or experience to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Programme Director will respond to you ASAP.
- For core course information, including how to apply, visit our programme overview page
- About The Bartlett
- The Bartlett is the UK's largest multidisciplinary faculty of the built environment and part of UCL, one of the world’s top universities
- The School is located in London on two sites: Bloomsbury and Here East, next to the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park – East London’s most dynamic neighbourhood and a destination for creativity and invention
- The Bartlett School of Architecture is the UK’s highest-rated department for architectural research (REF 2008, 2014) and is ranked second in the world for architecture (QS World University Rankings)