Research in Statistical Science is based on a blend of project-based research groups, multidisciplinary collaborations and individual research programmes.
- Computational Statistics
- Multivariate and High Dimensional Data
- Stochastic Modelling and Time Series
- General Theory and Methodology
- Financial Risk, Insurance, Econometrics and Stochastic Finance
theme is concerned with advancing the theory, methodology, algorithmic
development and application of simulation based approaches, such as Markov
Chain Monte Carlo, to statistical inference.
Multivariate and High Dimensional Data
This theme has a research programme that encompasses both the theoretical and methodological problems encountered when analysing multivariate and high dimensional data. Much of the work in the area is driven by advances in technology in various application fields, where new forms of data with unprecedented levels of heterogeneity and complexity are in a modern setting collected routinely.
Current application problems that the group works on
include medical imaging and near-infrared spectroscopy.
Stochastic Modelling and Time Series
The research carried out under this theme covers the development of generic stochastic models and the investigation of their properties, as well as modelling and inference for applications in a range of physical and biological sciences.
This theme has a research programme that encompasses both applied health research and the development and evaluation of statistical methods. Current methodological topics include risk modelling of health outcomes, modelling clustered data, analysis of health economic data, meta-analysis, missing data, evidence synthesis and Bayesian methods.
General Theory and Methodology
The research carried out under this theme covers foundational aspects of probability and inference, particularly Bayesian theory, decision theory, predictive inference, probabilistic expert systems, graphical modelling and causal inference.
Financial Risk, Insurance, Econometrics and Stochastic Finance
This theme has a research program that encompasses a range of theoretical, methodological and applied problems encountered in financial risk, insurance, economics and finance. Each topic is covered from a statistical and stochastic process perspective. Examples of active areas include topics ranging from Solvency II, Basel III, non-life insurance, re-insurance, catastrophe bonds and insurance linked securities, Operational Risk, commodity modelling, econometrics, limit order book modelling, high frequency trading and execution algorithms and currency carry.
Current and Recent Externally Funded Projects
- Hydrological extremes and feedbacks in the changing water cycle (joint with Imperial College, Reading University and British Geological Survey) sponsored by NERC
- Distributed Generation Capacity Choice under Competition, Uncertainty, and Operational Flexibility sponsored by The British Academy and the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science.
- Empirical Analysis of the Forward Market Implications of Price-Elastic Demand sponsored by The British Academy.
- Energy Efficiency and Risk Management in Public Buildings (EnRiMa) sponsored by EU FP7.
- Financial Engineering Analysis of Spot and Derivatives Electricity Markets (ELDEV) sponsored by the Mid-Norway Business Research Fund, Statkraft, and Trønderenergi.
- Geometrical Methods for Statistical Inference and Decision sponsored by EPSRC.
- Modelling Complex-Valued Diffusion Tensor Imaging Data and Efficient Methods for Inference sponsored by EPSRC.
- Real Options Analysis of Investment in Renewable Energy Technologies sponsored by British Council.
- Simplicity, Complexity and Modelling (SCAM) sponsored by EPSRC.
- Spatial-Temporal Rainfall Modelling with Climate Change Scenarios sponsored by DEFRA.
- World of Uncertainty sponsored by EPSRC.
Page last modified on 13 may 13 14:21