- UCL Laws PhD Student Awarded Modern Law Review Scholarship for Project on Human Trafficking
- UCL Graduate Law Society Submission to Home Affairs Committee Inquiry on FGM
- Watch Session Videos from the Workshop on Martha Nussbaum's Political Emotions
- Watch President Dean Spielmann's Lecture 'Wither the margin of appreciation?'
- Illegality, Human Rights and Employment
- Dr Virginia Mantouvalou gives evidence to the Joint Committee on the Draft Modern Slavery Bill
- President Dean Spielmann appointed Honorary Professor in the Faculty of Laws
Dr Virginia Mantouvalou gives evidence to the Joint Committee on the Draft Modern Slavery Bill
29 January 2014
In January 2014 Dr Virginia Mantouvalou gave evidence to the Parliamentary Joint Committee on the Draft Modern Slavery Bill. She argued that the Bill provides some basic safeguards against the worst forms of labour exploitation. However, it does not address adequately the great vulnerability of domestic workers, which stems from their exclusion from much labour protective legislation. She also argued that the Overseas Domestic Worker visa regime that is in force since 2012 may lead to situations of ‘modern slavery’ in violation of the European Convention on Human Rights, and should therefore be revised.
Page last modified on 29 jan 14 09:45