Top Resources
A-Z Icon A-Z Index
Term Dates Icon Term Dates
Directory Icon Directory Services
Portico Icon Portico
Registry Student and Registry Services
Student Centre Student Centre
Pay On-line Pay On-line
Study Abroad Icon Study Abroad
Timetable Timetable
Moodle Moodle
Map Icon Maps and Transport links

Council Tax Exemption

Council tax is a system of local taxation collected by local authorities.

Am I eligible for a Council Tax Exemption?

You are exempt from council tax if you are registered as a full-time student and living in a University hall of residence or living in a household where everyone is a full-time student. If you are living in a household with part-time students you will get a Council Tax bill but you may be exempt for a council tax discount. More information on can be found on the UK government website.

Part-time students are not eligible for council tax exemption.

How do I obtain an exemption letter?

To apply for an exemption you will need to obtain a Statement of Student Status and submit this to your local council. Before requesting this document you must ensure that your term-time address on PORTICO is the address for which you will want the council tax exemption.

If you live in the London Borough of Camden, you must apply on line via the Camden website. You will not need a statement of student status to do this. 

Page Editor: Student Centre