A new space for events, exhibitions, workshops and engagement with local stakeholders, professional audiences, and the wider public in east London.
Exploring the impact of industry, globalisation and gentrification on the six Olympic Park boroughs and their people, the Urban Room and Memory Workshop will be a practice-based, multi-purpose space at the heart of the new UCL East campus, dedicated to debate and engagement around key questions of future living and urbanism.
Located in Pool Street West (the first phase of the development), the public-facing Urban Room will host events, exhibitions, workshops and engagement with local stakeholders, professional audiences, and the wider public, whilst the Memory Workshop will open up access to UCL’s public and oral history collections, forging dialogues between UCL urban researchers and local community partners. Together it will present an exciting resource on the past, present and future of cities that will enable innovative explorations of London’s history, and the site in east London, through both ideas and objects.
Operated as a partnership between UCL Urban Laboratory, The Bartlett, Culture Lab and UCL Library Services: Special Collections, the space is also designed to create opportunities for academics, students and partners from either lab to be exposed to what each other are doing, and will be used as a teaching resource for programmes closely linked to both labs, including the MASc Global Urbanism, MA Public History, MSc Urban Studies, MSc Connected Environments, MSc Prosperity, Innovation and Entrepreneurship, MSc People, Planet and Prosperity, and MA Situated Practice.
- Urban Room and Memory Workshop user group
A cross-faculty user group has been set up to drive forward the establishment of the space. Core members are highlighted in bold.
- Sarah Aitchison (UCL Special Collections)
- Dr Pushpa Arabindoo (UCL Geography; MSc Urban Studies)
- Dr Yasminah Beebeejaun (The Bartlett School of Planning, UCL)
- Prof Ben Campkin (The Bartlett; UCL Urban Laboratory; MASc Global Urbanism)
- Dr Martin De Jode (CASA; MSc Connected Environments)
- Dr Andrew Flinn (UCL Information Studies)
- Dr Mark Frost (UCL History; MA Public History)
- Prof Haidy Geismar (Culture Lab)
- Dr Andrew Harris (UCL Geography; MSc Urban Studies)
- Prof Heather Jones (UCL History)
- Dr Leah Lovett (CASA; MSc Connected Environments)
- Sian Lunt (Built Environment Faculty Office)
- Laura Mackenzie (Culture Lab)
- Dr Clare Melhuish (UCL Urban Laboratory; MASc Global Urbanism)
- Dr Konrad Miciukiewicz (UCL Institute for Global Prosperity; MSc Prosperity, Innovation and Entrepreneurship, MSc People, Planet and Prosperity)
- Dr Anne Preston (UCL East)
- Prof Jennifer Robinson (UCL Geography; MASc Global Urbanism)
- Jordan Rowe (UCL Urban Laboratory)
- Dr Pablo Sendra (The Bartlett School of Planning, UCL; MASc Global Urbanism)
- Dr Valerio Signorelli (CASA; MSc Connected Environments)
- Dean Sully (UCL Institute of Archaeology; UCL Centre for Critical Heritage Studies)
- Dr Florence Sutcliffe-Braithwaite (UCL History)
- Prof Mark Tewdwr-Jones (CASA)
- Prof Duncan Wilson (CASA; MSc Connected Environments)