Report a broken or blocked toilet

If you discover a broken or blocked toilet, please report it to the Estates customer team who will arrange for someone to come and fix it. Simply complete an online form to raise a job in Estates' system and follow up with a phone call if the issue needs urgent attention.

Before you start

You will need:

  • your UCL ID and password;
  • the building name, floor level and room number where applicable; and
  • a description of the fault.
1. Raise a service request

To raise a building issue or to request help from the Estates team: 

2. If the toilet is overflowing

Please follow up the online form with a phone call: