Book a place
This five-day summer school provides an introduction to statistical analysis and the statistical programming language R.
You'll learn the fundamental principles of statistics and how to carry out your own analysis, including significance tests and linear regression techniques.
In practical sessions you'll learn how to use Rstudio - a free software which provides a user-friendly interface for R.
This course will run in a hybrid mode, ie lectures will take place in a cluster room and be transmitted live online via Zoom. The classroom and Zoom room will both have dedicated support by the lecturer and members of UCL's Centre for Applied Statistics Courses (CASC) team, who will help answer questions and resolve issues.
The course will cover the following topics:
- Quantitative research study designs
- Types of data
- Graphical displays
- Summaries of data
- Confidence intervals
- Hypothesis testing (parametric and non-parametric tests)
- Linea regression analysis
You can attend a number of free social activities, including an evening reception on the first day, a mid-week dinner and a trip to see the West End for a musical show. This is included in the Summer School fee.
Who this course is for
You don't need any knowledge of statistical analysis or R to attend this course.
By the end of this course you should be able to:
- set out a plan of analysis for a research question, accounting for all types of data involved and aspects of the question
- choose the best way of graphically displaying data and results
- choose the significance tests suitable to answer the research question
- make appropriate use of statistical inference methods
- understand when regression methods are useful
- choose the most suitable regression model for your analysis
- evaluate the goodness of fit of the fitted model
- perform appropriate model diagnostics and predictions
- perform all the above analyses in the Rstudio software package
You'll receive a certificate of attendance when you have completed the course.
Cost and concessions
The price is £1,800.
The fee includes:
- a welcome pack
- printed course materials
- refreshments and lunches
- social events
The fee doesn't cover accommodation and you'll need to arrange this yourself.
Refunds won't be given for cancellations made within two weeks of the start date or for non-attendance.
Cancellations made within two to four weeks of the start date will incur a fee of 25%. Please send all cancellation requests directly to the course administrator.
Find out about other statistics courses
CASC's stats courses are suitable for anyone requiring an understanding of research methodology and statistical analyses. The courses allow non-statisticians to interpret published research and/or undertake their own research studies.
Find out more about CASC's full range of statistics courses, and the continuing statistics training scheme (book six one-day courses and get a seventh free.)
Book a place
Course information last modified: 30 Nov 2022, 16:01